Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

I'm seeking for very high quality recording CD's (all genre)

I know already that TELARC are doing well, and Sheffield Lab too.

But regarding artists ?

For those who know electronic music genre, you may know that Infected Mushroom is absolutely amazing on high-end sound system. Sphongle either.

Any CD to recommend ?

I'm seeking for FEELING, you know what i mean :cool:

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me, recorded at Sorcerer Sound and Allaire Studios in New York are by far the best recordings I've heard, thou the master ain't the best, but I've remastered it for private use.

Deftones - "Self titled", recoded ar The Spor (Deftones Home Studio) CA, Larrabee Studios CA and Studio X WA. Produced by Terry Date. I just love the recodings and mixing of this one. a little dull master.

I still haven't heard "the perfect" CD

;)

Gillain Welch - Soul Journey

An amazing album, I love the way it is recorded. For those that don't know her music it is acoustic guitar based. But I hate when people try to put her music in a single genre like "bluegrass" or "folk".
Anyway it sounds like she is in the room with you!

Let's see, these are some of my favorite recordings, techincally:

Pink floyd - "The division bell"
Alice in chains - "Unplugged in MTV". (Also Nirvana's, both belong in the top 10 live rock recordings of all history, IMHO)
Nine inch nails - "The fragile"
Stone temple pilots - "Tiny music..." (In a different sense, they've nailed the intentional "lo-fi" sound PERFECTLY in this one. You'll find a lot of production that goes unappreciated in the first listen here.)

As for best sounding, all of the above, and perhaps also Peter Gabriel's work - specially "Up", "So" and "Us". He always overuses equalization, but with songs sounding so damn good it's of little consecuence.

dynoPort said:
... also recordings made by Tony Falconer (I think its spelt) He works a lot for the Hyperion label and has done work for Naxos. He is the sound engineer by which all others are judged!

(Classical music I'm on about)

Can you name any specific Naxos recordings? Any that sound good regardless of the engineer, although you've made me curious to hear some by this guy you mention.

radiohead ok computer

Great sound. One of those recordings were the production is an art in its self.

I've found several cds by artists I never liked before that I enjoy listening to now that I have good playback. Someone gave me an Alanis morrisette (however you spell it) who I find pretentious and annoying. The singing and song writing bugs me but some of the stuff that was added in the studio is really amazing. There are so few people who ever really get to enjoy the full idea that artist intended to get across because their sound systems cant reproduce whats there. Too bad.

maby some naxos records got good recordings, but they deffinitly got a lot of bad ones too..
I have Edvard Grieg - Peer Gynt Suit Nos. 1&2, lyrical pieces, the music is astounding, monumental in it's greatness, but unfortunatly the quality of the recording is rather noisy and "uninspiering".

anyone who can reccomend a nother lable for classical music? I really have been bitten by that bug as well, grate for times when you need to relaxe mind and body.

regards
marius

edit: looked closer and i'm going to check out this yperion. anyne else?

all the L'oiseau-lyre stuff (part of Decca?) I've ever heard was pretty good. If you dont already have it and assuming its still around, that box set of baroque music they released for $20 was pretty good. Sounds better than most of the classical recordings I've heard. A couple of BIS recordings I've heard were good. The Mercury living presence reissues sounded good on my old system but it wasn't the most revealing. They were cheap too. I have one Harmonie Mundi recording thats good, but I havn't heard any others. Mobile sound lab.

Reactions: 1 user
great CD recordings

Here, some of my favourites:

Los Lobos, ¨Kiko¨ and ¨This Time¨ -Mitchell Froom´s production has worked like a charm here- ;
Gustav Holst, ¨The Planets¨, Dir. Georg Solti, Deustche Grammophon.
Tori Amos, ¨Strange Little Girls¨-an obvious one, but excellent indeed;
Dr. John, ¨Anutha Zone¨, nice recording, nice collaborations...
Rickie Lee Jones, ¨Rickie Lee Jones¨, an all time favourite.
Dead Can Dance, ¨Into the Labyrinth¨.
Was -not Was-, ¨Are You Okay?¨, a great funky extravaganza, including some Leonard Cohen, Syd Straw and Iggy Pop vocals.

The list could be very long and eclectic...

If you are a prospective -and investigative- buyer, there are plenty of good recordings on CD. Enjoy the search.
Cheers.