Best recorded CDs - Best sounding

I second the Alice in Chains recommendation. Among the most well worn vinyl in my highschool days was Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. But those albums aren't the point here. When I discovered a few years later that Jaco Pastorius collaborated with Joni on some albums I ran out and bought Don Jauns Reckless Daughter. Not only a dream come true mix of talent, but it turned out to be one of the most dynamically mastered discs I'd ever heard. Probably true as well for the cd, I haven't tried it yet. I still throw it on the turntable immediately after adding any new component to my system. Everyone has one of those I guess. Another is Nightfly by Donald Fagen.
Oh, and Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez. Breathtaking.

creek said:
Gillain Welch - Soul Journey

An amazing album, I love the way it is recorded. For those that don't know her music it is acoustic guitar based. But I hate when people try to put her music in a single genre like "bluegrass" or "folk".
Anyway it sounds like she is in the room with you!

I hate that too, for any music. Why can't you just say acoustic guitar based. It's so much less subjective.

It's even worse when people try to describe their speakers in a subjective manner. "The woofers have the openess of a magestic eagle souring in the wind. The tweeters have the smoothness of maple syrup and the crispness of a waffle, and etc."

I'm downloading the album now. But I doubt you can hear a well recorded album when listening to a mp3, right? It's probably 160 or 192 kps I'm thinking.

I talked to the local cd shop ower the other day, and he pointed me to the Naxos series classical music with the great sound DynoPort talked about. i'm getting a few of them.

I altso want to point out Fintroll - Nattfödd (trollish black metal, you can tell their from Finland, makes one happy)
and Ensiferum - Ensiferum. More in teh area of viking metal, very good mastering on both of them.

Better is talking about SACD, CD is not realy quality ( also popping vinyl ).

"SACD is in the high frequency range quite mediocre, even compared to a good CD-system one-bit DAC, and of course clearly inferior to a CD-player with a real multi-bit converter," Ing. Öhman writes in the non-profit Swedish Audio Technical Society journal.

Best recorded CDs.

Hi all, imho one of the best for showing off systems was Thomas Dolby: Aliens Ate My Buick. I had to special order it since it had been out of print for some time. Talk about some dynamics and TIGHT bass!

Another fave, Happy Anniversary Charlie Brown.
Vocals, Basia Time And Tide.
Any of the early Manheim Steamroller stuff.
Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon, the Japanese Pressing.
Telarc: The Hoe Down.
Asleep At The Wheel: Greatest Hits.
These are the ones I pull out to compare things. Regards, Steve:snoopy:

mmmmm- some good recordings aye

I second "dead can dance "- most of there stuff is very well recorded and supurb atmosphere, the same for "rickey lee jones"-the first 4 records (best on vinyl).

"Air (french) - 10,000 hertz legend"- all audiofiles MUST listen to at least the first song as its about them + there latest CD - "talkie walkie".

Yes, I know its a bit kitch but the "cafe del mar " compilations have some excellent recordings.

"Lamb- fear of fours" in particular the song "gorecki".

A must have- "boards of canada - geogaddi" and peel session 21/07/98.

The ultimate BASE CD- " b(if)tek- freuencies will move together" which is a research project into the effects of low hertz frequencies in music.

and yes I know that I'm a bit esoteric.

I like Lamb,one of my Fav's is "Lusty"..I like the,kind of, "rolling" bass in the very beginning.
Amanda Ghost is good also.
Hooverphonic
GoldFrapp-I have a remix of "Utopia" on mp3 that is killer in the beginning.

Some of my Fav's for "testing" is of course-Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits-First album I listend to on tubes,and it was -jawdropping-! (I was an instant Tube-o-phile.)
Stevie Ray Vaughn is good for rockin guitars.
Van Morrison-I love 'Moondance'.
Mazzy Star "So Tonight That I Might See" is a good album.

I like alot of music..Enya to Pantera,and everything in between (except country,and opera.)

bought a Prokofiev - Romeo and juliet performed by the royal philharmonic orchestra, recorded in 24bit, mastered in 32bit, the audiophile edition, and you can tell it it. a really good recording.
good music too.
Trumphets of Jherico seems to be the label, issued by the international music company AG
by far the best sound i'v had on my stereo as of yet.

Can't recommend the music and the Q-Sound isn't to everyone's taste but no question, Rogers Waters "Amused to Death" is top 99th percentile. If your system is set up properly the sound field wraps ninety degrees left and right of the seating position and for some effects overhead as well.

I'll have to agree with the "Air -10,000hz legend" recomendation that really is very well recorded.

I'm not a huge fan of their music these days but I still reckon the black album (did it have a real name?) by Metallica is extremely well recorded.

() by Sigur Ros on Fat Cat records is also well worth checking out. Their music is quite indescribable and very different, but it is extremely theatrical and BIG. Their previous album, Ageatis Byrjun is also well worth a go.