Best recorded CD's - Best sounding - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2008, 05:59 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
Scott,

I don't claim to be an expert by any means, but I take it as an indication of the quality and care that has gone into creating a disc.

Here's some info (from discdupe.org) that correlates with what my general understanding is:

Best Regards,
TerryO
[OT]
The errors all seem to occur when using a standard CD (or SACD/DVD/etc) player. This is because (as far as I am aware) that the players are not allowed to copy even a small portion of the content of the disk down to any sort of memory in order to play it. This is due to some peoples' (ie. the recording industry) weird ideas on copyright and the electronics industry being unwilling to take them on. Copying a CD down to a hard-drive can be bit-perfect, and the resulting playback should have none of the errors that traditionally occur as a result of imperfect reads (shouldn't be any jitter there either).

With flash memory being so cheap nowadays, it shouldn't be too long before a kit is available so that you can do this DIY mod to your own player. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
[/OT]

Sorry about the OT post...
Old 28th August 2011, 07:16 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

I have noticed through my car audio and home stereo that the promise land album by queensryche was of high quality as far as sound definition and overall clarity
Old 15th September 2011, 08:20 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

Pat Coil - Just Ahead (Sheffield Lab recording) is also a brilliant CD. Especially track 4 Lady J where the tune is carried on the symbols. Not something I have heard done before. This is also a good system test, see if you can hear the colour of the metal used to make the symbol. It ssssshould not sssssound like a sssnake in the grasssss ;-)

Last edited by valvesound; 15th September 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 16th September 2011, 11:23 AM   #144
diyAudio Member

Symbols or Cymbals?

It'd be difficult to hear symbols.
Old 16th September 2011, 11:37 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Journey - raised on radio ( sony super bit mapping version )
whitesnake - restless hart
damn yankees - dont tread
depeche mod - best of
dave mathews - behind these crowded streets
iron maiden - brave new world , dance of death
metallica - black album
Old 16th September 2011, 01:12 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloth Ears View Post
[OT]
The errors all seem to occur when using a standard CD (or SACD/DVD/etc) player. This is because (as far as I am aware) that the players are not allowed to copy even a small portion of the content of the disk down to any sort of memory in order to play it. This is due to some peoples' (ie. the recording industry) weird ideas on copyright and the electronics industry being unwilling to take them on. Copying a CD down to a hard-drive can be bit-perfect, and the resulting playback should have none of the errors that traditionally occur as a result of imperfect reads (shouldn't be any jitter there either).

With flash memory being so cheap nowadays, it shouldn't be too long before a kit is available so that you can do this DIY mod to your own player. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
[/OT]

Sorry about the OT post...
Well you can have your cake and eat it too- says an old saying. If you DBX Type 1 compress record your CD to a Yamaha CDR HD1500 hard disk recorder and then play that back through the DBX Type 1 expander like a DBX 150x or DBX 155 the DBX will do its purpose as a compander, dramatically improving your original CD. I agree with cloth ears that current CD playback is very poor, however the actual CD disc is terrific, there is far more on the CD than conventional players can play. Companding with DBX proves that. I have recorded all my CD's this way, and enjoy playback approaching theoretical perfect. Cheers / Chris
Old 26th September 2011, 04:43 PM   #147
impsick is offline impsick  United States
diyAudio Member

I just stated this on another thread but I'd say A Perfect Circle "Thirteenth Step". Amazing sound quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!