List of best ( or very well ) recorded DVD-A discs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2004, 09:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default List of best ( or very well ) recorded DVD-A discs

Can we come up with a list of DVD-A's that sound really good.
I can start it off : Faith Hill "Cry".
Cheers.
Old 8th August 2004, 04:43 AM   #2
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Ray Brown "Soular Energy" on the Hi-Res label sounds excellent. It is a 24/192 recording.

Steely Dan, "Two Against Nature"

"Buena Vista Social Club". Really nice Cuban music with Ry Cooder and son and many excellent Cuban musicians.
Old 9th August 2004, 03:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Stone Temple Pilots "Core"

Awesome mix and music both.
Old 10th September 2004, 01:27 AM   #4
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Porcupine Tree - In abstentia

Incredible music.
Old 25th November 2004, 04:52 AM   #5
Prune is offline Prune  Canada
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by andy_c
"Buena Vista Social Club". Really nice Cuban music with Ry Cooder and son and many excellent Cuban musicians.
Excellent marketing by ripoff artist Cooder, more like it. Thankfully, some Amazon.com reviewers of the CD version didn't get fooled and told it like it is.

Hint: it's always best to check the most negative reviews of any product, otherwise all you are getting is advertizing.
Old 2nd December 2004, 11:42 PM   #6
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Prune
Hint: it's always best to check the most negative reviews of any product, otherwise all you are getting is advertizing.
Music likes and dislikes are all very subjective. Reviews can give you some inkling of how you might like a piece of music, but in the end it all comes down to how you respond emotionally when listening. For me, it has nothing to do with person X's opinion of the music.

For instance, I'm a big fan of Laura Nyro's later work, and hadn't listened to her earlier work much until recently. All the reviewers say "she peaked out early" and so forth. They cite "Eli and the thirteenth confession" as her best work. Based on this, and my liking for her later work, I bought a copy. So far, I can listen to it for all of thirty seconds or so before lunging for the eject button. I can't stand it. I'm sure many people just love it. It's just not my cup of tea.

Anyway, the thread was about well recorded DVD-A's. I still think BVSC is well recorded.

Since BVSC is considered by some to be mediocre Cuban music, can you suggest some Cuban music that you think is better? I'd be interested in hearing it for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!