Can you record Redbook-like audio on DVD's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you burn a DVD that plays like a CD?

I was wondering if you could burn normal uncompressed audio to DVD's, or do you have to do MP3. I mean a DVD player can play normal CD, but with the capacity of DVD's, even the 3" mini DVD's are twice what a normal CD can hold.

Sure would be nice to have 120 minute Audio CD's...make some nice mix cd's :cool:

I mean it would just play track 1 through whatever like a CD, not search for folders and data like a disc of MP3's

This is the easiest way however DVD-Players will accept MPEG2 or PCM audio:

Burn your DVD as you would a movie, instead of having a 'picture' you encode the MPEG file only with audio, then just burn each individual 'movie-without-video' as you would a series of movies on a single DVD, this method will enable you to avoid the MP3 codec and give you almost-full standards compliance with all DVD players including avoiding DVD-Audio altogether, problem is getting your songs into 'avi' format with PCM audio tracks!.

The other method is to get your hands on unobtanium software specifically designed to create DVD-Audio disks with 5.1 and 2ch audio support.

Okay...

It seems you do write PCM uncompressed audio when you master a DVD-Audio disk including mpeg.

Problem is now the software and a big expensive answer. anyone got US $7995 hanging around in pocket money they could lend me?

DVD-Audio discs use PCM encoding. This encoding can be linear, as on CDs, or "packed" using Meridian Lossless Packing. MLP reduces the data rate up to 50% but without any data loss: the reproduced signal is identical, bit for bit, with the original signal. While a standard CD is a 2-channel format fixed at 16-bit/44.1 kHz resolution, DVD-Audio is a multichannel surround format with higher resolutions.

Personally I'd just stick to the tried-n-true 16bit CD format, however seeing no one is creating CD-RW's that will be read in standard CD players anymore and pushing the CD-R CD-Audio disks too far, I'm going to kick them in the nuts soon.

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Can you burn a DVD that plays like a CD?

I was wondering if you could burn normal uncompressed audio to DVD's, or do you have to do MP3. I mean a DVD player can play normal CD, but with the capacity of DVD's, even the 3" mini DVD's are twice what a normal CD can hold.

Sure would be nice to have 120 minute Audio CD's...make some nice mix cd's :cool:

I mean it would just play track 1 through whatever like a CD, not search for folders and data like a disc of MP3's

I don't know if you already found what you were looking for...
Eximius audio remaster could be what you need: http://www.eximius.nl/dvdaudio.php ?

Wavelab 5 does DVD-A,but you must have a capable player,it uses Audio TS,try Audiodvd Creator it does Audio on the Video TS,you can add pics but its basic.Cheap too,$30 odd in US.I use wavelab 5,upsample the cd to 24/96 or 192 for DVD-A.Some say theres no difference.I upsampled PinkFloyd The Wall to 24/96 and stuck both cds on a single 4.7Gb disc,way better than cd,and I don't have to change discs.:cool:

Mikee55

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.