Bjork, gubaidolina, peter gabriel: any music like it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I really like the music of Bjork, in the way that its not the liniair way music flows, and the strange composition. I also kinda like gubaidolina, which is even "worse" then Bjork; just tones and words of tones.
Some Peter gabriel also comes close to it, although most of him is too "songlike"

Does anyone know any music like that? I really don`t care if its blues, country, or people slapping on garbage cans, with or without vocal, as long as it has this kinda non pop formula strange compositions, and good sound quality.

Hope there are more freaks like me who can help.

it's a pretty broad question you're asking...

i second the Laurie Anderson. (she happens to be Lou Reed's significant other...)

in case you're not familiar, bjork used to be in the band 'the sugarcubes', so you could check them out. 'life's too good' was their most popular album i think.

try the group sigur ros.

beck.

primus, and anything else by les claypool.

frank zappa.

good ole Art of Noise, they did some neat stuff back in the day.

also go to epitonic.com and navigate to some interesting genres of music like 'experimental' or 'math rock' or anything else that strikes your fancy. they're great for discovering music you haven't heard before.

whole genres that may apply to your needs: 'indie', 'trance', 'drum-n-bass', any other 'electronica', movie music (e.g. ennio morricone), and look for the archive music unearthed by micky hart for the library of congress...i forget the title. field recordings of various indigenous musics from places around the world.

hope that helps

/andrew

Mmmmh, Peter Gabriel and Björk are really quite different.
Have you listened to Peter Gabriels "Passion".
Sounds like you would go for that one.
It is a soundtrack to the film.

You might wanna check out Lamb which is a mixture of Björk and Portishead IMO.
Mari Boine has got something Björk-like; more in direction folklore.
Moloko and Morcheeba are probably too normal...
Archive?
And yes, certainly check Sigur Ros; dense atmospheres and great sounds.

check out www.epitonic.com , a site filled with new-style music. they have everything from electronic post industrial pleurisherrie to really downbeat ambient stuff.

A few i like (search epitonic): panamerican, godspeed you black emperor, nanang tatang, sigur ros, labradford etc etc...
oh yeah, you can download mp3's too (legal!)

another (great!) artist: madtrix - a swiss band that can be found at www.madtrix.ch you can download a few (high quality!) mp3's there too.

btw: browse through www.kranky.net too, doesn't look like much but they have a lot (also on LP) and they're pretty cheap. Kranky is a record label but they have a webshop aswell. mp3's for download too.

im a big bjork fan, its weird' shes one of those artists that people either love or really hate :)

have you listened to any 'Matmos'? or a german band called 'Oval'
also a long shot but an australian girl that goes by the name of 'Stina' bought out a cd that is quite good with the blending of classical instraments and electronic sounds, its an all instramental album.

I second Lamb.

Also, check out Anja Garbarek, right along the lines you're looking at. Another one you might like is Anjali, really Bjork-like in her non-musical musicality...

Might be a surprise, but believe it or not, Milla Jovivich(yes the actress), has done some pretty interesting stuff musically, also along Bjork-ish lines.

Bjork-alike music

She´s really one of a kind, and a very talented woman.

But try Portishead, or some early Massive Attack, i.e. ¨Protection¨.

A great album of strange and beautiful music is ¨Hounds of Love¨, an eighties -circa 1985- record by Kate Bush. So you can compare the state of the art electronic instrumentation of that era -the infamous CMI Fairlight sound- with the more update Bjork juggernaut.
Cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.