music w/ some BASS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know you were interested in showing the system but I thought I would add some thoughts on testing and tweeking.

To really test bass capability you will have to dump the Hip-Hop. :bigeyes: ;) But for some rock suggestions see the end of the post.

But seriously there are several aspects to good bass reproduction including balance, coloration, extension and transients. Just about any sub will produce a one note thump in the 40-70 Hz range. If you are interested in true fidelity I would suggest some of these tests.

Extension: Pipe organ - Not your style I imagine but if you can find a good recording of a large quality instrument using 32 foot pedal stops the low C is about 17Hz. To my knowledge no other instrument goes as low (electronic synth of course excepted). At high volume levels you will soon find out whether your system has adequate output before clipping or bottoming the drivers. The organ is a "slow" instrument thhough and won't tell you much about transients. The tone quality between instruments and different stops is so variable that it is difficult to detect coloration and balance problems.

Coloration and balance: Good orchestral recordings of classical era chamber music. If the string bass, cello and bassoon don't sound right you have a problem with ragged response. Large orchesta and choral won't be as helpful here because there is so much going on that makes it difficult to focus on smooth response. Some times small brass choir can be helpful here also.

Transients: Drums. If you can get some vintage 70s recordings by Kansas you will often hear the double kick drums getting a good workout. Listen for clean separation between the strikes and sharp attacks. A poorly set up system will oftem blur this type of thing into mushy, thumpy mush. Tympani is also a good test. They may not sound like they are very low on the spectum but they do have a sharp bass transient. A sustained roll should sound smooth but a hard initial strike should be sharp and punchy.

As for just impressing folks there was a song that Boston used to do (I can't remember the name to save my soul) that had a electronic intro in which there was a nice sustained low note which was pretty good at rattling the windows. :D

Vintage Kool and the Gang is also good. There recordings had the requisite low pulse but seemed cleaner than most to my ears. They also made very effective use of brass which gives a nice zing to the upper midrange as well. The overall result is very pleasing to my ears. If your system is unbalanced in the high end it will probably show up with this also.

here are a few of my favorites:

outkast - speakerboxxx/the love below: their grammy winning double album, excellent music, great sonics, and TONS of bass.

beck - sea change: great low end on this one, but only shows up on a capable system (im referring to the DVDA release. although, there is an SACD as well, i have both, but i like the DVDA better)

missy elloitt - so addictive: also a DVDA, the bass extension is incredible, and VERY VERY tight and fast.

flaming lips - yoshima battles the pink robots: forget the cd, go for the DVDA again on this one. most all tracks have added bass tracks in them, and its well worth it.

massive attack - mezzanine or 100th window: classics that have great bass that is not only extended, but clean and robust.

blue man group: anything by these guys, whether it be their concert DVD, their DVDA, or their cds, have awesome bass. and its not sampled, so it has a great sound to it. the drums are unreal.

a perfect circle: either album by these guys, preferrably their new one, has great kick drums and some of the best "rock" bass ive heard.

those are some of my suggestions for bass that you can actually listen to, not just some boring bass track for testing. this is coming from a certified bass freak who will be receiving his dual velodyne hgs15's anyday now.

cowanrg said:
here are a few of my favorites:

blue man group: anything by these guys, whether it be their concert DVD, their DVDA, or their cds, have awesome bass. and its not sampled, so it has a great sound to it. the drums are unreal.

those are some of my suggestions for bass that you can actually listen to, not just some boring bass track for testing. this is coming from a certified bass freak who will be receiving his dual velodyne hgs15's anyday now.

DUAL Velodynes? ok im jealous :p And you must have won the lottery as well.

Agreed on Blue Man group. all I have are MP3s from my brother, but they took on a whole new tune after I hooked up my newly built sub. They dont rattle the windows or anything with volume, but you get some really deeeep notes in there :)

You can also go dig up the 1st Mortal Kombat soundtrack CD, it has some pretty good tracks.

yeah, the dual velodynes are very nice. good solid punch. i was watching a movie, and the movie trailer for "the forgotten" was hitting 116dB from a single sub (i didnt have the second one yet).

i went to my favorite used cd store the other day and was looking through their used cds, and found crazytown's first cd (cant remember the name). its the one with "butterfly" on it. some of those tracks have some crazy bass on them. not that great of a cd, but for $2, it was alright. also, orgy "candyass" cd is pretty good. the song "blue monday" is great for bass. good tight stuff. also, stiches and gender work for me :)

i almost hate getting new subs, because all i listen to is bass music. everytying else gets neglected.

lil jon - BME Click--7 mins of low end
lil jon - throw it up
T.I. - Look what I got
T.I. - I still luv you
lil wyte - oxy cotton
chingy - gettin it--2 fast 2 furious soundtrack
mob deep - hey luv
nappy roots - heads up
nappy roots - set it out
petey pablo - freek a leek
trick daddy - in da wind
ying yang - naggin
ying yang - hell raisers
ying yang - salt shaker
ying yang - georgia dome
youngbloodz - lean low
ciara - goodies--ft. petey pablo
jadakiss - time's up
lil scrappy - no problem
Trillville - Get Some Crunk In Yo System

Seefeel's Starethrough/Spangle Eyes EP on Warp records and Endemic Void's Turn da Tide on Language records both have some extremely high amplitude bass grooves. Both will toss out badly adjusted tone arms... Its the first time I've seen the cartridge waggle around trying to follow the groove.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.