Kimber IsoMike technique any comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I went to the HE2004 in NYC and had a chance to hear some material recorded by Kimber (the cable guy) using the so called "IsoMike". Does anyone know what this is about?
The audition on a very nice system left me with mixed impressions but I returned home with a demo cd that was pretty stunning in terms of recording quality. I popped it into my sony laptop and a pair of the vilest headphones available and I was really amazed. He recorded the material at some university in Utah and although it was no Wiener Philharmoniker it sounded like I was there above and bejond what I though possible really.

BTW in case you wonder, tube and vinyl still sound the best. ;)
Got a few pics of some nice systems but I don't know if I'll have time to post them.

I read the Kimber site page, I was more interested in references like the ones Phase_accurate provided, I was interested to know how original the concept is, really. I am not surprised that a setup that reminds me of two ears with a head in the center would sound natural. ;)

Oh yeah the Gilmore speakers....
The bass player was playing through a couple of huge tube amp so they sounded like a bass player playing through a Fender amp. It's impossible to say anything more. I think the whole premise was misguided.

I have ALOT of comments about the show and how things sounded. Lots of it is negative, so I will limit myself here although I could go on for pages. I think I have learned alot of valuable things about the audio business, what I will be building next about and the so called "auditions". I also confirmed to myself that I am much more interested in the engineering aspect than in the sound aspect of audio and this will be my last show. The recorder material is soooooo bad that for the most part it doesn't matter.

Basically I think you can make your system sound as good or as bad as you like depending on your choice of material, how loud you play, what effects you introduce in your demo CD, how long you make people wait outside before you give them a dose of BS from a salesman and 3 minutes of music.
Overall the best of the best sound has come from less know, mama and papa's companies. Some of the very highly prized speakers sounded absolutely dreadful.
The notable exception were the Karma speakers, I have never heard them before and I must say these suckers really bring something extra to the table. Two completely different systems with Karmas really put me in the mood. That is in the mood for the horn speakers in the Thor room. Small horn speakers I have seen before on some DIY site...now if I could just remember their brand...;) I lost the damn leaflet.

In summary, we are all doing VERY VERY well with whatever we are building on this site although IMO by building tubes one is much more likely to be happy in the end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.