Great audiophile recordings/albums - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2004, 08:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Great audiophile recordings/albums

Recently, doing evaluation on componenets and systems, I started listening to somewhat more "advanced" and audiophile recordings

I'd like to share here what seems to be sounding good, is well recorded and presents quality, interesting audiophile material. I'm always on a lookout for that type of recordings, so I hope this thread will continue and will be updated on regular basis, providing a source of inspiration on what to look for next time you visit your local records store.

So here's the first run. Most of you are probably familiar with Jacinta's album. Patricia Barber's, Companion, is also very good live recording. Burmester CD III sampler is my all time favourite and it contains all kind of different material, from classical, jazz to more contemporary stlyles and even Chinese percussion track. My recent buy, Holly Cole's Temptation is great adaptation of Tom Waits songs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rec1.jpg (47.6 KB, 3408 views)
Old 7th May 2004, 04:40 AM   #2
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

D'DRUM 's premier CD - "Village Beside Time"-
One of my all-time favourite test-CD for all kinds of audio equipment. Nice listening too from time to time.
Old 7th May 2004, 12:29 PM   #3
roibm is offline roibm  Romania
Banned

I don't know if these could pass as audiophile but I like them a lot:

Sophie Zelmani(http://www.zelmani.com)
Heather Nova - Storm (http://www.heathernova.com/)
Beth Orton(http://www.beth-orton.co.uk/)
Katie Melua(http://www.katiemelua.com/)
Cara Dillon(http://www.caradillon.co.uk/)
Old 7th May 2004, 12:51 PM   #4
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

Of course we all have our favourite reference recordings and test tracks.
For some reason I find when trying to judge a new piece of equipment I will always end up playing the Gladiator soundtrack track 3 which even though quite good is not a particular audiophile orientated recording and not even a particular favourite .However it always manages to separate different components characteristics more than any other recording I know.
It is an extremely difficult track with multiple crescendos and lots of brass instruments going full tilt with synth bass and some background vocals.On mediocre equipment it sounds a complete mess and the brass almost like dentists drill in your head but on good stuff you hear a big orchestra soundstage that swells dramatically as it reaches a crescendo with a heavy drum foundation and at least the reed instruments sound like what they are.
Old 7th May 2004, 01:35 PM   #5
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I would like to point out another great test-CD from German loudspeaker manufacturer ALR Jordan:
ALR JORDAN CD-1 "VOICES"
Breathtaking and rich voices of various singers recorded with real audiophile quality.
CD can be obtained from their web shop for 25 Euro
Old 7th May 2004, 03:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

To be more specific, I rather meant really good sounding and interesting material, and not necessarily testing discs (although it usually goes together).

Here are my two other suggestions. Those are also very well recorded and pleasure to listen. Everything from Patricia Barber seems to be good and this one is not exception. Ottman Liebert presents great guitar recordings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rec2.jpg (31.2 KB, 2013 views)
Old 7th May 2004, 03:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

How about this one ?

Regards

Charles

Edit: since the picture is too small to recognise it: The title of the CD is "Norwegian Mood" and the name of the singer "Kari Bremnes".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kari_bremnes.jpg (6.8 KB, 1961 views)
Old 7th May 2004, 03:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default MA Records

The MA label has several recordings that are well-recorded, usually in an acoustic space (i.e., not a studio) on custom-built high resolution digital equipment.

My favorite is called "Krushevo" by Vlatko Stefanovski and Miroslav Tadic. Closest reference would be "Friday Night in San Francisco," only less gtr-wanky and more musical (me dons asbestos suit). It is two guys on acoustic guitars playing their takes on Macedonian folk tunes while sitting inside a Macedonian War memorial. Elements of folk, jazz, blues, and flamenco. IMHO, it is one of the best acoustic guitar recordings I have.

MA also has several recordings of Bulgarian pianist Milcho Leviev playing a very *big* sounding Bosendorfer. Some say that Leviev is an acquired taste, though.

Cody
Old 7th May 2004, 03:23 PM   #9
roibm is offline roibm  Romania
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
To be more specific, I rather meant really good sounding and interesting material, and not necessarily testing discs (although it usually goes together).
You should know, you posted names I hever heard about(I don't know if you know already all of my recommendations).
So, if one doesn't know an artist/album, one have to test it at first, see if he/she enjoyes it etc.
The tastes cannot be generalized(usually).

What is an interesting material? The material one finds interesting I would say...
Old 7th May 2004, 03:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roibm

You should know, you posted names I hever heard about(I don't know if you know already all of my recommendations).
So, if one doesn't know an artist/album, one have to test it at first, see if he/she enjoyes it etc.
That's the whole idea of this thread. To find stuff you don't know about. I don't know about your area, but here one can listen at the store before committing to make a purchase

An interesting material is the one that makes you listen to the same CD over and over again.

Hide this!Advertise here!