Great audiophile recordings/albums - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2013, 05:10 AM   #251
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hweb View Post
I'm sorry that my mention of some CDs sounding worse than LPs caused so much contention. I didn't mean that as a blanket statement. Not all CDs sound lousy. I was simply pointing out that the remastering of "Live at the Apollo" sounded much worse than the LP.
This happens as prominent delivery formats change, equipment has changed, the ears of the mastering engineer have changed or is different, speakers have changed, and overall a reflection of change. Is it really good, worse, better, or just a different presentation?

Quote:
But just to make matters worse, I'll say that dynamic range is not IMHO a problem for CDs. They beat vinyl easily in that respect. The problem with CDs is sample rate. At 44kHz sample rate you cannot tell whether an 8kHz signal is a sine wave, a square wave, or a triangle wave. There are just noth enough samples (it takes about 10 harmonics to approximately represent a triangle wave IIRC). Good thing I'm middle aged and my extreme high end hearing is waning ;-)
While I agree with you on the CD's sample rate, the reality is we don't hear music in sine waves, square waves, or triangle waves. It is all of this simultaneously, and that includes acoustical waves and pressure waves as well.

Quote:
But even sample rate is not what makes some bad sounding CDs sound bad. It's bad remastering - pure and simple.
And let's face it, great mastering can make a CD sound wonderful as well. It ain't all bad with CD.
Old 8th September 2014, 11:30 AM   #252
diyAudio Member

great albums:

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Pink Floyd - almost everything
Heather Nova - South
Dire Straits - almost everything
The Police - Their greatest hits

:-)

Hide this!Advertise here!