Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2013, 07:04 PM   #211
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
Charles, what do you expect from iTunes, they are mastered for earphones, not great speakers. Get some great earphones, and maybe your ear/brain mechanism can fool you into thinking iTunes is hi fi. LOLOL

That is because you have been listening to commercial recordings that has already has compression applied in the studio. I would invite you to listen to 7.1 recordings I have made of my church's Easter concert. 2,500 singers, a 15 piece amplified band, a 120 person orchestra using a combination of Ray Kimber's ISO miking setup, along with my own DPA proprietary setup with no compression applied anyhere. Unless your room is ultra quiet, your system will be straining badly to reproduce the peaks.
Where to get this bad bwoy recording ....?
Old 18th February 2013, 07:25 PM   #212
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackmixer View Post
Wide dynamics in the studio is terrific, but in the home with its high ambient level, not good at all. Some of my recordings have such a wide dynamic range, they are unlistenable in every person's room I know.
Could you quantify , what are we looking at for dynamic range , some of my recodings have a lot, unfortunately i run out with current amplification at 40 db ...
Old 18th February 2013, 08:19 PM   #213
diyAudio Member

The best recording I've ever heard is by Harry James and his Big Band. It's a direct to disc performance called "The King James Version". It was apprently recorded in a church with 3 mics. It's the most "you are there" recording I've ever experienced (the music is good too ;-)

James Brown's "Live at the Apollo" is also incredible IMHO. Yes, it does sound like a 50 year old recording. But it sounds like what I imagine it sounded like at the Apollo that night (including fans screaming drwning out the musicians at times). The CD, BTW, sound like crap. Listen to the LP (and I am not a vinyl junkie - most of my listening is digital).

Earlier in the thread Jack Johnson CDs and Joe Jackson's "Live in NY" were recommended. I would agree with those recommedations.
Old 18th February 2013, 10:55 PM   #214
diyAudio Member

Analog has way more dynamics than CD , its the most obvious difference between them with surface noise being second ...
Old 18th February 2013, 10:57 PM   #215
diyAudio Member

Sweet Fanny Adams by The Sweet is a good rock album.
Some amazing songs and incredible guitar playing.
Old 18th February 2013, 11:59 PM   #216
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Analog has way more dynamics than CD , its the most obvious difference between them with surface noise being second ...
just what analog recording/playback media are you thinking of - not LP, not common 1/2" tape, are you the owner of a 1" or 2" pro studio recorder? - still doesn't beat CD audio dynamic range with perceptual noise shaped dither...
Old 19th February 2013, 12:35 AM   #217
scott17 is offline scott17  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently purchased an audioengine d1 DAC. I have it connected via the S/PDIF interface.

I've owned many different versions of Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon over the years. I just got the SACD 6.1 version a few days ago and have listened a few times, converted to 2 channel.

I've never heard it like this before. The best detail I've ever heard. You can even hear the "mistakes", if you can call them that.

I'm probably behind the curve here, but I wanted to comment.

Thanks.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:11 AM   #218
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is the really sad thing because it should not be that way.
Technically the CD medium is capable of a much greater dynamic range than the LP but the vast majority of remastered CDs since the mid to late '90s does have a much lower dynamic range than the original vinyl releases.
Old 19th February 2013, 03:37 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Actually, it is the reverse. The most dynamic range you will get out of vinyl is about 70db. With redbook CD(16/44.1khz), its 96db. Analog tape gets you about 80db before saturation happens.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:03 PM   #220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could you quantify , what are we looking at for dynamic range , some of my recodings have a lot, unfortunately i run out with current amplification at 40 db ...
Let's say your noise floor in your room is 40db. You are going to playback a recording with 60-65db of dynamic range. So to hear everything in the recording, the lowest level in the recording has to exceed the noise floor of the room. So 40db is where you start, and to get the peak volume your system must playback at 105db peak. Now raise that noise floor to 50db, and now the system must playback levels of 115db. Can you see where this is going, and why compression(light) is needed?

Hide this!Advertise here!