Great audiophile recordings/albums

Recently, doing evaluation on componenets and systems, I started listening to somewhat more "advanced" and audiophile recordings;)

I'd like to share here what seems to be sounding good, is well recorded and presents quality, interesting audiophile material. I'm always on a lookout for that type of recordings, so I hope this thread will continue and will be updated on regular basis, providing a source of inspiration on what to look for next time you visit your local records store.

So here's the first run. Most of you are probably familiar with Jacinta's album. Patricia Barber's, Companion, is also very good live recording. Burmester CD III sampler is my all time favourite and it contains all kind of different material, from classical, jazz to more contemporary stlyles and even Chinese percussion track. My recent buy, Holly Cole's Temptation is great adaptation of Tom Waits songs.

Attachments

• rec1.jpg
    rec1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4,235
Of course we all have our favourite reference recordings and test tracks.
For some reason I find when trying to judge a new piece of equipment I will always end up playing the Gladiator soundtrack track 3 which even though quite good is not a particular audiophile orientated recording and not even a particular favourite .However it always manages to separate different components characteristics more than any other recording I know.
It is an extremely difficult track with multiple crescendos and lots of brass instruments going full tilt with synth bass and some background vocals.On mediocre equipment it sounds a complete mess and the brass almost like dentists drill in your head but on good stuff you hear a big orchestra soundstage that swells dramatically as it reaches a crescendo with a heavy drum foundation and at least the reed instruments sound like what they are.

I would like to point out another great test-CD from German loudspeaker manufacturer ALR Jordan:
ALR JORDAN CD-1 "VOICES"
Breathtaking and rich voices of various singers recorded with real audiophile quality.
CD can be obtained from their web shop for 25 Euro

To be more specific, I rather meant really good sounding and interesting material, and not necessarily testing discs (although it usually goes together).

Here are my two other suggestions. Those are also very well recorded and pleasure to listen. Everything from Patricia Barber seems to be good and this one is not exception. Ottman Liebert presents great guitar recordings.

Attachments

• rec2.jpg
    rec2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,414
MA Records

The MA label has several recordings that are well-recorded, usually in an acoustic space (i.e., not a studio) on custom-built high resolution digital equipment.

My favorite is called "Krushevo" by Vlatko Stefanovski and Miroslav Tadic. Closest reference would be "Friday Night in San Francisco," only less gtr-wanky and more musical (me dons asbestos suit). It is two guys on acoustic guitars playing their takes on Macedonian folk tunes while sitting inside a Macedonian War memorial. Elements of folk, jazz, blues, and flamenco. IMHO, it is one of the best acoustic guitar recordings I have.

MA also has several recordings of Bulgarian pianist Milcho Leviev playing a very *big* sounding Bosendorfer. Some say that Leviev is an acquired taste, though.

Cody

Peter Daniel said:
To be more specific, I rather meant really good sounding and interesting material, and not necessarily testing discs (although it usually goes together).
You should know, you posted names I hever heard about(I don't know if you know already all of my recommendations).
So, if one doesn't know an artist/album, one have to test it at first, see if he/she enjoyes it etc.
The tastes cannot be generalized(usually).

What is an interesting material? The material one finds interesting I would say...

roibm said:

You should know, you posted names I hever heard about(I don't know if you know already all of my recommendations).
So, if one doesn't know an artist/album, one have to test it at first, see if he/she enjoyes it etc.

That's the whole idea of this thread. To find stuff you don't know about. I don't know about your area, but here one can listen at the store before committing to make a purchase;)

An interesting material is the one that makes you listen to the same CD over and over again.

These are all good suggestions.

I guess I'm kinda boring - I find myself (still) enjoying the earlier releases by Flim and the BBs to help evaluate sonics.

I agree with the comment about MA recordings.

I also like Angela Bofill's first solo release "Angie". I take it to shops with me and the dealers always try to take it from me :smash:

mlloyd1

Everything from Dire Straits, Björk and Goldfrapp.

(But note these are IMO audiophile recordings which I often find are not good for testing; Dire Straits for example I find sound good on a lot system whereas especially Goldfrapp, Björk might be a killer for some; but that´s probably not the point anyway)

Stevie Ray Vaughn "The sky is crying" mmmmh "little wing":angel:
which is suggested
here with some other nice recordings as well.

Look at >Records 2die4<
http://www.stereophile.com/records2die4/

The following CDs are perfectly recorded. You can find Kari Bremnes performing in english some songs on the second CD. For the first time I feel that she knows what she sings, like till now in norwegian.
The Yuri Honing Trio "Star Tracks" - Jazz in Motion 9920102
Tom Russel "The Man From God Knows Where - Kirkelig Kulturverksted FXD 209

Peter Daniel said:
That's the whole idea of this thread. To find stuff you don't know about. I don't know about your area, but here one can listen at the store before committing to make a purchase;)
We can listen as well.
The problem is that it's hard to find in the local stores some really good music. Most of the time one runs into commercial junk.

An interesting material is the one that makes you listen to the same CD over and over again.
That's hard for me. Very hard I would say.
I listem to my albums over and over, but not in a short time period.

Erykah Badu "Baduizm" (jazz with a touch of hiphop, nice bass)
Jan Garbarek "Madar" (soprano sax, percussion, harp, ethno-like music; more like meditation than the usual music consume)
dZihan&Kamien "Refreaked" &other albums (ambient, trip-hop)
Mike Oldfield "Tubular bells" &others