Great audiophile recordings/albums

IMOH a must have for audio lovers: Charly Antolini - “Knock Out”

This complex music is very well recorded. It is not only very dynamic but also has subtle parts. Don’t play it too loud at first instance otherwise there is a risk to knock out your speakers.

;)

Reference Recordings

I agree with all who suffer through the compression, eq, and poor techniques of the recording industry. Let me suggest a breath of fresh air; a listen to some of the offerings from REFERENCE RECORDINGS. You may try their (30th anniversary) sampler; I did, and immediately bought 6 of their cd's. I highly recommend their Crown Imperial cd.

The first thing I listen to when working on my system is Al Di Meola's Kiss my axe.
Jazz fusion with a little something for everyone. Most Pat Metheny stuff sounds fantastic, but is just a little too slow for my tastes. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that uses Crime of the century as reference material. I suspect many of us old guys do. Considering their 1976 recording, Brand X's Moroccan roll, and Unorthodox behaviour sound great. While playing in my new full rangers, last weekend, I went looking for something acoustic. Putting on my wife's copy of Gordon, by Barenaked ladies, I was pleasantly surprised.

Has anybody already mentioned the MA RECORDINGS work (they are often known for the 5 or 6 medieval Spanish music CDs and the Goldberg variations interpreted by Ito Ema ; qualitatively, the production is generally first class (often, a simple pair of Bruel and Kjaer / DPA mics is used to ensure natural yet high resolution soundtakes); sadly, I find the musical offer not very great, but that's a matter of taste I presume.

I agree with those who quoted the Hugh Massekela album earlier; "Stimela" should be part of the top 20 tunes, just like some from King and Moore's CD "Potato Radio".

Chris.

true,
Ma recordings are very good. They are generally "hot", very difficult to reproduce. To say the piano for example, mics are placed medium distance ( not into the piano!) in a medium/ high reverberant room.
Very good test for systems :cool:

BTW "hope" by Masekela is great recording, but I have to repeat myself in this case : PURITY by Tminus 5 is IMO in absolute sense the BEST recording of all times, I am sure of this guys!
Try and believe!:hot:

Cheers,
Paolo

Some people say that the first commercial CD available was one of Dire Straits' and that the recording quality was decisive in the development of the CD consumer market.
I remember that in France every HIFI shop in the early 1980s used one or more of their CDs (Love over Gold etc.) for demo purposes and that any average or even bad piece of equipment sounded impressive with those CDs, with or without the loudness button activated...

Chris

"Love over gold" is a true nightmare IMO, only mid high exaggerated !! :bawling:

"dire Straits" is decent, IMO as like " Alchemy Live" and "Communique"also.
Making Movies ...so and so ;
"brothers in arms".... to much highs again. Very digital sound :(
Of course ALL this is "true" only in comparision with respective LPs .

Maybe Alchemy was the album for the advertising, I am not sure but.

Cheers,
Paolo