Rock - Progressive Rock ->>>

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scorpions were more like glam pop/rock to me while most of everything that came from Germany was that kick *** Power/Heavy metal vibe so awesome!
In 1998 I saw The Scorpions play in Phoenix AZ on the "Savage Amusement" tour. Hard Rock, but definitely not Prog Rock. They were supported by Kingdom Come ( Kingdom Come (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), another hard rock band with a German vocalist. I have Kingdom Come's first album. It was OK, but not good enough to buy any of their follow up albums. They were touted as a Led Zeppelin clone, borrowing some of their guitar and vocal styles, but they weren't a fraction of a band that Zep were.

Last edited:
Why are all prog bands compared to Led Zeppelin (Actually Kingdom Come is much closer to be a clone of Led Zeppelin than any Scorpions song
Actually I said Kingdom Come were a hard rock band, not prog. Sorry to get off topic.

LZ's music covered a range of genres but it was not primarily prog. I guess some of their longer and more instrumental tracks could be classed as prog rock, eg. Dazed and Confused, Achilles Last Stand, No Quarter, Kashmir, In The Light. I've been a LZ fan since 1977 when I first heard LZ 4 and TSRTS. Now I have all their albums, mostly on vinyl.

BTW, my interest in prog rock began with Rick Wakeman ( Rick Wakeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) listening to his album Six Wives Of Henry VIII ( The Six Wives of Henry VIII (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) in early 1974. A friend of the family had a copy. My personal copy was signed by Rick when I met him ca. 1990.

Not sure I always think of Prog epicness like most people, dream theater comes to mind specifically octavarium lol

Octavarium, 24 minutes exactly :) I have the album (same name).

Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" ( Thick as a Brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) at 43:46 is my all time favourite "epic". If I put it on, I have to listen to the whole thing. I have the original vinyl with fold-out newspaper. I enjoy playing the opening riff (capo on 3).

Been listening to an ELP 'best of' lately, rediscovered some tunes I'd completely forgotten. Greg Lake's bass sound on 'Knife Edge' is my favourite electric bass sound ever I think, & love Keith Emerson's piano playing on 'Take a Pebble'.
(Can do without the over-the-top synth stuff on a lot of the other tracks though...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.