Rock - Progressive Rock ->>> - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2004, 09:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hello

I love that inaccessible, pretentious (whatever that means, maybe too many notes/chords?), music that you can't dance to. Stuff that you have to listen to. I'd say that's about 80% of what I listen to and jazz-rock fusion. All of my brothers except one (5 out of 6) are musicans and that's what they listen to mostly. Even my sister likes it, especially Jean-Luc Ponty.
A lot of young people think they're listening to "NEW" music but a lot of it was borrowed from that period. It was all about the music back then, well the major labels saw it differently of course. I just don't see much of that excitement today, it mostly sounds all the same to me. Music made for people with short attention spans and memories, hehe. Here today gone next month. Trendy, trendy.
Well that's my rant, and now to put on some ELP, and not that "Love Beach" stuff!

Cheers
Wayne
Old 12th May 2004, 10:37 AM   #12
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cogsncogs
Music made for people with short attention spans and memories, hehe.........Wayne
I have a very short attention span and zero memory! But like Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, Yes, Marillion, etc. If someone would like to suggest some of the "better/original" alternatives from the huge list above for my to try, given my taste, that's cool!
Thanks, Mark
Old 12th May 2004, 11:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to baggystevo82
Tool

Steve
Old 12th May 2004, 11:51 AM   #14
Bricolo is offline Bricolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baggystevo82
Tool

Steve

Great choice!
Old 16th May 2004, 05:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originaly posted by MARK25
I have a very short attention span and zero memory! But like Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, Yes, Marillion, etc.
Hi Mark25

Mmmmmaybe, just off the top of my head;
(short attention span, that's a tuffy!)

Happy The Man: "Happy The Man", "Crafty Hands"
Dixie Dregs: "What If", Night Of The Living Dregs"
Brand X: "Xcommunication", "Unorthodox Behavour" (All Phil Collins on drums.), "Product"
Gentle Giant: "Octopus", "The Power And The Glory"
King Crimson: "Red", "In The Court Of The Crimson King"
Steve Hackett: "Voyage Of The Acolyte", "Please Don't Touch" (Kansas' Steve Walsh, vocals and Phil Ehart, drums on the first 3 tracks, Chester Thompson, drums on the rest.)
Triumvirat: "Pompeii"
Starcastle: "Starcastle", "Fountains Of Light" (Yes ripoff.)
Eddie Jobson/Zinc: "The Green Album"
U.K.: "U.K.", "Danger Money"
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: "Brain Salad Surgery", "Emerson, Lake & Palmer", "Tarkus", "Trilogy"
Greenslade: "Spyglass Guest"
Genesis: "Selling England By The Pound"
Jeff Beck: "Blow By Blow", "Guitar Shop"

Jazz-Rock Fusion:

Stanley Clarke: "Stanley Clarke", "School Days"
Mahavishnu Orchestra: "Birds Of Fire", "Inner Mounting Flame"
Billy Cobham: "Spectrum"
Return To Forever: "Romantic Warrior", "No Mystery"
Jean-Luc Ponty: "Cosmic Messenger"
Weather Report: "Heavy Weather"
Passport: "Cross Collateral", "Infinty Machine"

Well this a short list of some of my favs, I hope some of this fits into your listening critque. If not give me a little better description of you tastes! If you haven't already done so, go to Amazon.com and search any one these prog bands and you'll find some band lists and suggestions.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 17th May 2004, 07:24 AM   #16
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

thanks for all the feedback guys I won't expand anymore Wayne, as most of the other stuff i like is not really prog rock and i don't want to threadjack (any more than i have already!). I find most of the other music i listen to is because it sounds good on my system, (Fleetwood mac or Dire straits live)or to be more sociable, (Air, Moon safari).

The unique attribute that defines some of the music in the above list for me is that it sounds as fresh and exciting as the first time i heard it. Like PF DSOTM, i first heard it about 20 yrs ago, i remember the event well! But if could only listen to that album for the rest of my life, no problem. People who prefer "modern" music (or don't like my type of music) freely admit there is no album that has that effect on them.

It's nice to see people's opinions almost concuring, quite unusual for this forum! good thread Rixsta.
Mark
Old 20th May 2004, 02:08 PM   #17
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Quote:

I just don't see much of that excitement today, it mostly sounds all the same to me. Music made for people with short attention spans and memories, hehe. Here today gone next month. Trendy, trendy.
sounds about right to me
But then again with all the cool changes in a progressive rock song you could say were the ones who have short attention span because we get bored to quick if a song is samey.

When i listen to a hip hop or r&B song on the radio i will probably turn it off but it can even sound like the song that was played 3 minuites before and that might be a rock song..
I dont think the people that create new exiting music get a chance in the music biz maybee....
Record companies say ahh let's just make a quick $$$...

I play the quitar and sing and i have to admit i quite often start making up a new song and realise it's very similar to a song i heard on the radio that day or on TV.
How do we make up original music when everythings related to what we have already heard ect...

Now i sometimes have this thought say you give a indian or someone from a tribe a guitar who has no experiance of any other music than where he lives. Would he come up with something original ? lol

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark25

I have a very short attention span and zero memory! But like Pink Floyd, Barclay James Harvest, Yes, Marillion, etc. If someone would like to suggest some of the "better/original" alternatives from the huge list above for my to try, given my taste, that's cool!
Thanks, Mark

As you can tell i realy like nektar
if you want heavy theres the album sounds like this it's pretty good for live in the studio & if you get it on vynal it's probably worth quiet a bit.
also there other albums are prog with keyboards and quite good melodys in the music

Thers a lot out there actualy a amazing amount of matireal to lsten to or find in record shops.. Little gems forgotten greatness.. ha ha

Quote:

Well this a short list of some of my favs, I hope some of this fits into your listening critque. If not give me a little better description of you tastes! If you haven't already done so, go to Amazon.com and search any one these prog bands and you'll find some band lists and suggestions.

Cheers
Wayne
There all not bad at all a lot i still have to listen too
how about steve hillage ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark25
thanks for all the feedback guys I won't expand anymore Wayne, as most of the other stuff i like is not really prog rock and i don't want to threadjack (any more than i have already!). I find most of the other music i listen to is because it sounds good on my system, (Fleetwood mac or Dire straits live)or to be more sociable, (Air, Moon safari).

The unique attribute that defines some of the music in the above list for me is that it sounds as fresh and exciting as the first time i heard it. Like PF DSOTM, i first heard it about 20 yrs ago, i remember the event well! But if could only listen to that album for the rest of my life, no problem. People who prefer "modern" music (or don't like my type of music) freely admit there is no album that has that effect on them.

It's nice to see people's opinions almost concuring, quite unusual for this forum! good thread Rixsta.
Mark
cheers man
you are right some of the 70's prog sounds like it was done yesterday as in yesterday the only sound that to me is dated are any old effects used on the rrecording of an album and some keyboard or meletron sounds.. but that don't bother me.

The last album i heard classic rock
deep purple - machine head
sounds so fresh...

Hardly any songs stand the test of time anymore..

If there are any women here how about renaissance ?
im a man but the singer from renaissance i realy like her voice it reminds me of the film "sound of music"
good band
Old 23rd May 2004, 05:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originaly posted by Rixta:
But then again with all the cool changes in a progressive rock song you could say were the ones who have short attention span because we get bored to quick if a song is samey.
You got that right!

Quote:
Originaly posted by Rixta:How do we make up original music when everythings related to what we have already heard ect...
A lot of bands did that back then, ELP, Yes, Triumvirat, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and so on. They took parts and pieces, classical works especially as in the case of ELP, Yes, Rick Wakeman, and Fireballet's Night on Bald Mountain for instance. Blues as in the case of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. I guess you could say it was the way they "artistically interpreted" the pieces, styles with their inner being (in the way the music moved them) and presented it with a fresh perspective and excitement. Of course they borrowed heavily from those that came before them!

Quote:
As you can tell i realy like nektar
I haven't listened to/heard them in a looong time, but I do remember liking what I heard. As you can tell by my moniker and avitar who my favorite band is! Anyone care to guess?

Quote:
how about steve hillage ?
Heard of him but don't recall having listened to any of his music, think I'll check him out. There's alot of new stuff out there that I haven't got or experienced yet. YET! Need a little extra cash flow plus I'm old and set in my ways!

Quote:
Thers a lot out there actualy a amazing amount of matireal to lsten to or find in record shops.. Little gems forgotten greatness.. ha ha
Yeah, and I also have a-lot of material right here where I'm sitting that I haven't listened to in a long while, 1200+ CD's.
75% or so paid for, the rest "borrowed" from family members. He He

Quote:
I dont think the people that create new exiting music get a chance in the music biz maybee....
Record companies say ahh let's just make a quick $$$...
Vey sad but true. Man the stuff that could had/heard!

Cheers
Wayne
Old 23rd May 2004, 11:38 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

To be honest I don't even think I could name that many Bands off the top of my hand period.
Old 1st July 2004, 10:02 PM   #20
sardonx is offline sardonx  Canada
diyAudio Member

No-one here thinks Radiohead, Muse, or Coldplay are modern day prog-rockers? intewesting.... :P
I would say progressive rock is any fresh music that's relatively simple in technical nature yet very powerful musically. The best rock music (the PROGRESSIVE kind) is played and sung straight from the soul, much like the blues. Sure there is composition involved (there are rules to making music, or else it aint music) but not it the form of trying to squeeze fifty notes into a frame of five seconds (i.e playing fast) but rather by intuitively painting a complete picture, or an illusion of being taken somewhere in your mind where you don't usually get to visit. I think it's the most free kind of music... and the thing is there is really no way to define it, you can only spot it when it comes up because it's the most unique. And there is usually a fair degree of darkness to progressive rock i think.

I like hendrix and jeff beck too : ) Thank you Mr. Jimi!

Hide this!Advertise here!