Danny Kirwan RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remembering Danny Kirwan

Thanks,so that's who that was,with Peter,boy,like it was yesterday,I now so remember,Danny Kirwan & Peter Green,stopping everyone,in their tracks,I think it was early 70's,at the long gone Vancouver Gardens,B.C.,Canada,concert.....How the hell did they get that Amazing Tone?

Our Lead guitarist,(garage band),& a pretty young lady insisted,well nearly dragged me to see Fleetwood Mac's Guitarist(?) & band perform.
Miss you two,wherever you may reside now?

Out of a handful of concerts I can remember,over nearly a whole lifetime,that were Milestones,the first to come to mind,were the above pair on stage.

No contest,as so very few,if any have ever been able to re-conjure the exceptional,euphoric guitar tone and style of playing.
My God,Danny,was like 18 years old,how does someone that young play so well?

Old Soul many say,I guess there is something to that saying,after all these years.
Another,was Duane Alman,hitting the note,but that's another story for another time.

I swear whenever Danny or Peter played their licks or a solo,(like Albatross?),well all I know,that particular eve,it was so just so 'Very 'Enchanting',and absolutely everyone immediately stopped dancing,etc,stood transfixed,spellbound,watching, Listening to them play,their notes.Or maybe it was the silence between the notes,Silence wasn't Awkward back then,it was Enlightening!

That guitar Tone,was,can I say so perfectly crafted,(or absolutely Improvisational?),that they just drew you in,effortlessly,so Natural & Up-Lifting,near impossible to put into words,but at least I tried..

....I remember reading where Jimmy Page said his muse was Peter Green,he put him on an unreachable pedestal,that's saying a lot coming from Jimmy.

Unfortunately both Danny & Peter had severe mental health issues,with Peter finally getting rescued by family & Nigel Watson,requiring getting him released from an institution,and forming Splinter Group,so sad Mick didn't quite get to Danny in time.

Danny's playing,reminds me a little of Eric Johnson,and all of the above Musicians,totally without,ego,(well maybe not Jimmy,lol),the rest so humble,yet their Music Speaks Volumes.
True Chanellers'of Melodic Music,if that's possible?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention,if I hadn't clicked on this single thread,his name would have been forever forgotten.
If you Listen to the early Fleetwood Mac albums,the guitar work was so outstanding.

Awhile back I bought the(dvd,).."An evening with Peter Green Splinter Group",in concert,as its very hard to find any of those old album's,we never thought of keeping them,did we,especially into our 60's!..We carelessly stacked lp's on our parents old consoles!

r.i.p Danny,your name may be forgotten,but any young kid who happens upon one of your old albums,will be 'Immediately Transported & Totally Inspired,to pick up a guitar,and will want' to find out more about you,and want to 'try' & play like you.

Your one lucky guy to have that album,cherish it!
Peace & Harmonies,EP Concert Kenny.

Last edited:
Fleetwood Mac's so very Memorable guitar players

I'm pretty sure I have Bare Trees,but my TT,requires new leads,so one more retirement project I hope to get to quickly during my up-coming retirement in the Fall.

I spent all my money on a drum kit,(& sticks-n-heads)instead of buying record albums,in hind sight,maybe I would have been better off buying albums,lol.

Thanks so much for bringing another one my early teenage hero's passing to my attention,I swear I can remember that night like yesterday they were that great!
I'm watching Peter Green concert in memory of Danny Kirwan.
Happy Summer Trails
Kenny

So many grew up knowing only the California couple that brought so much fame. I am glad to be part of the group that watched it go from the Peter Green days, through the rest of the eras. The compilation album of the first 25 years is a good start but it doesn't have all, it's tough to get everything in a 4 album set.

Cheers and RIP Danny. It was always good to see you as a part of something so special.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.