Jazz artists like Albert Collins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have been taking keen interest in jazz and blues music nowadays. So, I would like suggestions on artists whose music sounds like Albert Collins. I like BB King too. I like jazz which has a rock music like sound and plenty of cymbals.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Albert Collins is considered to be a blues, rather than a jazz guy. Anyway, one blues musician who was heavily influenced by Albert Collins is Robert Cray. Albert Collins played at Robert Cray's 1971 high school graduation party, and after hearing him, Cray began listening to and emulating much of Collins' music and style. Maybe you will like his music.

Albert Collins & SRV

I particularly like the tracks 'Pride & Joy' & 'Matchbox' from the Albert Collins & Stevie Ray Vaughn live album - I think it was on Canadian TV & is available on video

Some of the later Buddy Guy is pretty good too,
and if you like your blues a little more raw,
you can't go past RL Burnside

Pete McK

Vivek said:
Andy, thanks for the info. I will try Robert Cray's albums. Is there any album that is particularly good?

I bought a few of his albums in the early '90s but haven't kept up with his more recent work. I like the "Strong Persuader" album best of the four albums of his that I have.

By the way, I'll second the recommendation of Stevie Ray Vaughan. For blues, he's hard to beat. The "Texas Flood" album is great and is available on SACD if you have an SACD player. But the SACD is not a hybrid, so it won't play on a standard CD player. You'd need to get the CD if you don't have SACD capability. The Stevie Ray Vaughan album mentioned in another post above is done with Albert King rather than Albert Collins I believe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.