Best music for testing tube amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys, I want know, what is the best music for testing tube amplifiers. First of all,I know, that amps are usually tested by sine or square wawe with dummy load and scope, but also sound test is very important.
I prefer piano, guitar songs and drum n bass :)
What prefer you?

Here are just a few of the disks I use.

Chasing The Dragon - Mike Valentine A mixed bag of 16 superbly recorded tracks.
Pure Heart - Hiroko Kokubu Light piano jazz on a fine JVC 20 bit K2 super coding recording. The original (shown) is OOP but has been re-released on a JVC XXRCD.
A Girl Meets Bossas Nove 2 - Olivia Ong - A soft but sensuous voice on an HDCD 24 bit recording.
The Lost World - Michael Stearns This has some extreme low frequency bass on "Volcano" that is more felt then heard, assuming one's system can reproduce it.

Attachments

• 1_2.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 17-booklet-back.jpg
    17-booklet-back.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 197
  • pure heart.jpg
    pure heart.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 176
  • lost world.jpg
    lost world.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 179
  • michael-stearns-hs-110542-cd.jpg
    michael-stearns-hs-110542-cd.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 181
  • olivia.jpg
    olivia.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
For me both the recording quality and the prominence of some music elements are important.
I found a 24 bit flac-recorded "Audiophile Drum" on Youtube. It is very useful for testing if the bass is firm and precise. At the very end there are three very low bass tones which many amplifiers cannot handle. Also for bass testing, I use new age music with synthesized bass that goes very far down in frequency ("Enigma" and other).
For mid-tone testing I use acoustic (classical) guitar and vocally dominated songs. Sinead O'connor's version of "The House of the Rising Sun" I find very useful and Loreena McKennit's "Greensleeves". I just adore ELP's "The Sage" from "Pictures at an Exhibition" though the recording is old: Greg Lake vocal and acoustic guitar. Agnes Obel's "Riverside" is very suited as well.
Overall, I use church organ music (often Bach) and a few songs with a lot of dynamics like Mara McOldfield and James & FJ's version of "Radioactive".

I know jazz is very suited but I am just not a real "jazz-man".

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.