Name that song from a line or two of lyrics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
put on an old Perry Como Christmas album

I think my stereo would blow up in revolt, having never played anything like that before.....

You named the band in your guess but remember, no notable commercial success so Genesis and others that played large venues are out. Pantagruel in the second hint

I was standing outside for nearly an hour last night while waiting to get into the grandkid's Christmas show. Boredom set in, so I stuck that name into Youtube and came up with the song. I do not have that album, and likely have never heard that song, or rarely heard it and don't remember it.

Remember that in the pre internet era the only way to find out about new music was through radio play. Fortunately I lived within range of the University of Miami's radio station until late 1973, and worked nest door to UM until late 72. Sometimes we got to hear stuff that didn't receive national air play. Even with WVUM and an old geezer station that played "underground" music after 10PM (the old people had already turned the radio off), we didn't get much prog from across the pond. Looking at the cover of my lone "Giants" record, it was purchased sometime in the mid 80's or later.

Given that info and knowing that I spent much of yesterday spinning vinyl from that era and genre. I offer another set of lyrics. These had to flow out of the radio sometime in the early 70's. What caught my attention was the synthesizer sound. It didn't sound like Moog or ARP, it wasn't.

Where's your smile today? Did she let you down?
Try to see she didn't mean to make you feel so sad.

YouTube

Gentle Giant was most probably the most underrated, but at the same time the most talented band in the Progressive Rock genre. All musicians were highly skilled multi-instrumentalists, playing up to 40 different instruments on stage, and all sang, too. Their compositional skills simply were extraordinary even in the Prog environment.

For those who read sheet music, here's a beautiful score of this song, transcribed by Phil Smith.

Best regards!

Kay Piranha
Agreed, very underrated. It seems like you have opted to waive your right to post the next lyric tidbit so I'll submit one for those who really enjoy simple, clever lyrics of profound concepts.

I asked the devil, 'say could I go back and try living once again,
I've heard that reincarnation was the way it's always been',
The devil said, 'no I'm afraid you'll have to wait for that response,
But it's no more unusual to be born twice than it is to be born once'...

I've only heard this song covered by two artists, one old showbiz veteran and one young street performer. The only thing in common with both is the lyrics. they are two completely different musical presentations and don't sound anything alike.

here's one that's probably too Canadian for consumption

I didn't recognize the lyrics, but I remember the band's name from MTV (Mindless TeleVision). I didn't even know that they were a Canadian band, or that Chilliwack was a city in BC......speaking of Canadian bands, does anyone remember that OTHER Canadian power trio?

When you say Canadian power trio, Rush comes to mind, but anyone who watched MTV in the 80's should remember Magic Power and Fight the Good Fight.

I have no clue about nania's post.

Nobody responded to mine, so here are a few more words.

Summer's comin', time to dream the day away
And she's so sunny is the girl you met today

Tubelab_com
Hmm, Heart (Wilson sisters) was Canadian but they weren't a trio. I'm stumped on that one. When I think of really good Canadian bands of that era that deserved more success than they had I always think of "Trooper". The clip below shows them hitting on all cylinders:

YouTube

As for my submission, the artist that penned the original lyrics was Ray Wylie Hubbard (contemporary of Willie Nelson). Here is his version:
YouTube
And his best work below:
Ray Wylie Hubbard "Snake Farm" - YouTube

Below is the regional artist known as "Social Shadow" who repurposed the lyrics:
Vocaroo | Voice message
As a bonus, here he is again impromptu with a poem given to him by a random person.
Vocaroo | Voice message
He came up with both tune and phrasing on the spot after reading it for about two minutes! Can you tell I was impressed?

turk182
I checked out Max Webster. It amazes me how much talent remains undiscovered/underappreciated. Nice traffic effects.

Last edited:
Triumph where good.....

As turk said....

In the early days of MTV there weren't a lot of music videos, so some were in heavy rotation. Triumph had the two I mentioned played at least once an hour. There was also "Never Surrender" and "Lay it on the Line."

Tubelab i googled your lyrics,(so i can't reveal it) interesting group!

That song got some national airplay in 1971, however nothing since then ever made the US radio. The band still exists, but has undergone several personnel changes with the female singer the only constant member.

Tubelab_com
I have an idea who this might be but I need one more hint. If they were Canadian, had a female lead singer, preceded Heart to airplay and are still touring today there is only one band that I can think of that might fit but they typically tour Europe. I don't suppose this is so unusual since for a while, the US band Sparks only toured Europe. When was the last time they toured the US and do they have any dates in the states for 2018?

turk182 said:
..cool stuff...
I know, I'm obsessed with this artist and sometime I go out of my way just to hear him at the Broadway-Fulton station. I have some other poor recordings of his stuff. He has a remarkable cadence and phrasing. I've tried to play his stuff and sing at the same time and it's impossible for me but I can play or sing either part by itself. It's deceptively complex in its syncopation. He's unlike anyone else I can think of. Kind of like a merging of Bob Dylan and Radiohead with calypso-rock undertones. A real original in my book but so is Ray Wylie Hubbard. I think "SS" did more than justice to Ray's lyrics, he made that coal into a diamond IMO.

Last edited:
I was thinking of Sonja Krjstina

She is the only constant in the band "Curved Air." The lyrics I posted come from the song Back Street Luv, which was the only Curved Air song that I ever heard on the radio. They featured some unusual sounds, made with an unusual synth, the VCS3, and by doing unusual things like playing a Fender Rhodes or an electric violin through guitar distortion boxes. I bought their first 3 albums, but the third didn't impress me much. The second album wound up on my turntable during my search for the Gentle Giant song.

According to Wikipedia "Sonja Kristina is an English songwriter, musician and actress, best known for starring in the seminal 1960s musical, Hair, and for being the lead vocalist of the 1970s progressive rock band, Curved Air."

Born: April 14, 1949 (age 68), Brentwood, United Kingdom

turk182
Yep, I met them as a couple during the Zenyatta Mondata tour. She seemed Canadian then, no English accent but not quite sounding American either. I figured Canada :)

Tubelab_com
I just spent some time listening to "Curved Air". Isn't it funny how music triggers memories. It's one of the reasons why I love threads like this. I don't know why I associated her with Canada but I would have sworn on it until Google proved otherwise. Here's one more woman fronting an English band of that genre, from that era:

Senorita's panned in: "Chico, come on home,
Santa Anna's losing, you'll be first to go"

One more hint, this woman also has a funny "J" name.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.