Saddest songs

This Dutch song seems cheerful until you hear its background:

Johnny and Jones - Wij sloopen met muziek

It was written by two young Jewish men who did forced labour in a Nazi concentration camp. The lyrics of the song are about their forced work. They did not survive the war.

This Dutch song seems cheerful until you hear its background:

Johnny and Jones - Wij sloopen met muziek

It was written by two young Jewish men who did forced labour in a Nazi concentration camp. The lyrics of the song are about their forced work. They did not survive the war.

Surely you also know their Westerbork Serenade, don't you? Obviously with lots of gallows humour, they sing about their work at the Westerbork concentration camp (dismantling wrecked aircrafts). Both songs are in both their Dutch and German articles in Wikipedia.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Good post, listened to many of them...
Some have that pop music sound which deprives the sad lyrics with trendy beats and makes the result not so sad.

I think I first heard this one, very sad, during a Sopranos episode (closing credits).
It seems sad to me even though sung in a neutral voice.

Death Cab For Cutie - I Will Follow You Into The Dark

Lyrics-
Love of mine someday you will die, but I'll be close behind
I'll follow you into the dark.

you get the drift.

Actually this might be a happy or sad song depending on your point of view, brilliant!

Youtube I'll follow you into the dark

** if you can't edit you can always summarize in another post.

Last edited:
Zbigniew Preisner - Requiem for my friend: 8. Lacrimosa

Youtube

Wikipedia:

Zbigniew Preisner is a Polish film score composer, best known for his work with film director and close friend Krzysztof Kieślowski. "Requiem for my friend" became a memorial to Kieślowski after the director's death. The album was released in 1998 although some parts of the work must have been ready upon Kieślowski's passing as Preisner asserted in an interview that "the Requiem had accompanied Krzysztof in his last journey".

Preisner provided orchestration for David Gilmour's 2006 album On An Island as well as additional orchestrations for the show at Gdańsk shipyards at which he also conducted the Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra, this was documented on the album Live in Gdańsk (2008).

Last edited: