Ruined Songs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to listen to a local classic rock station and, among others, they thoroughly overplayed Bob Seger tunes. They had a "call in your requests" event (you know, the ones where they put your name on the artist they were going to play anyway?) I called in (tired and grumpy one morning after hearing several BS tunes) and said, in a slightly elevated tone "PLAY MORE BOB SEGER, ONCE AN HOUR IS JUST NOT ENOUGH!"
The guy on the other end said "You know, you have a point there..."

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
LOL, nice one Ron. :D

I was a top 40 DJ when Charlie Daniels "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" was a hit. That song was in heavy, heavy rotation playing over and over - and we still got endless requests for it. It got to the point that I'd bang the telephone handset on the console then say "That was me - breaking that stupid record!" then hang up.

EVERY song from Neil Young......Aww, man, I love Neil Young.

Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere was a good album. I still play it. It was all downhill from there.

This YouTube ......Agreed. Way too bombastic. Kids these days... Yes, bombastic, is exactly the right word.

Uh, call me a kid, my wife does, but I like it. It was said that anyone can sound good with a studio full of equipment to fix all the mistakes, but he sang it live on Conan one night, and it is still excellent.

YouTube

Disturbed does a good cover of Land Of Confusion too:

YouTube

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I've found the best way to combat over-used songs is to make fun of them.

I've got two chickens in my pocket, now baby, listen here.
Mated so long.
Mated so long.
Mated so long.

I've got Two chickens to paradise.
Wont you pack your flags with me tonight.

Noah knows what its like, to be the Batman.

Hit me with your pet shark.
Why don't you hit me with your pet shark.

Panama = Padded Bra.

Dreams of war.
Dreams of Fire.
Dreams of Dragons Fire!
And of Baked Apple Pie!
Yeah!

Last edited:
Like George, I'll disagree with the dis on Disturbed - first time I heard it playing in the background in the workshop I was quite taken - not enough to search the entire discography, but I quite liked it.

As for Bob Dylan- he can certainly write - but I'd have to agree that except for Nashville Skyline, and some of the very earliest "protest" work ( both cases where I think his vocals exactly suited the songs) that a lot of folks have delivered better versions.

And as a Canadian* , I hate to say it, but yeah, the vocal work of both Neil and the late Leonard Cohen (one of the greatest lyricists in the past 60yrs AFAIC) are an acquired taste. kd Lang's "Hallelujah" should be added to that list on another thread of "songs that give you goosebumps"

* BTW, we're nowhere near as nice as we're rumoured to be .

and you forgot
"excuse me while I kiss dis guy"

From the younger crowd, two immediate ones: "Wake me up inside" - Evanescence. College roommate and I did not get along, so as revenge he'd put this song on repeat full blast on his laptop and then lock the computer. Another roommate and I got so far as disassembling his laptop when he was gone to disable his internal speakers, but then thought that was a line too far.

"We are young" - Fun. This was on the radio precisely when my alarm clock went off for what felt like every morning for a few months. It was so bad that I started hearing the opening percussion was the same timing as the igniter on my gas stove. I couldn't escape that song.

There are surely others, but those most abundantly come to mind. These were songs I already disliked.

Last edited:
"Big Log" - Robert Plant. MTV ran it more often than "Thriller"

"Thriller" - Michael Jackson. MTV ran it almost as often as "Big Log"

"Gloria" - Laura Branigan. Radio played it more than Big Log and Thriller combined - but this one didn't need 'wrecking' - too late.

Boston stuff was almost wrecked for me, but it has been out of play for so long it just brings back memories now.

College roommate and I did not get along, so as revenge he'd put this song on repeat full blast on his laptop and then lock the computer. Another roommate and I got so far as disassembling his laptop when he was gone to disable his internal speakers, but then thought that was a line too far.

Laptop? Just pop the battery out of it, drop it in a mailbox to somewhere far away.

^ We were too ethical. :D In hindsight, should have just unplugged the speaker from the motherboard. 3 EE's and a business major -- he'd have had no chance of figuring out what went wrong. I could tell stories here about our interactions, but, um, probably not for the best.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.