Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Ruined Songs
Ruined Songs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2017, 05:58 PM   #21
Fast Eddie D is offline Fast Eddie D  United States
diyAudio Member

Just about any song that gets played way too much is ruined; even a good song. "Stairway to Heaven" was mentioned and it was played on the radio every day for 30 years. Too much!

But what really ruins a song for me is when it is used for a commercial, especially if they change the song around to make a stupid jingle. Because to me, it's not a song any more; it's a commercial.

Big disappointment for me was when Eddie Money sang his trademark song on a stupid travel agency commercial. It's not that I was ever a fan; but this was a new low. He looks like he's been living at a truck stop for the past 35 years. He sure doesn't look like a guy that would be going on vacation; he looks more like a guy that might steal a bottle of vodka from Walgreens. Sad.
Old 28th September 2017, 05:58 PM   #22
gpauk is offline gpauk  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yes.... Aaaargh! My wife loves Christmas songs... I could happily never hear any of them again...
"...when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, ... your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind..." Lord Kelvin
Old 28th September 2017, 06:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebee View Post
What about one of those awful Christmas songs like Slade's Merry X-mass Everybody?
Yes, there's many of them.

YouTube

Yuck!
Old 28th September 2017, 06:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

YouTube

Pathetic!
Old 28th September 2017, 06:20 PM   #25
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

I used to like Phil Collins but many years ago he got overplayed on the radio to the point where I'd had enough.
Old 28th September 2017, 08:59 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I worked in the retail audio trade off and on during the mid 70s - and as excellent as they were technically and thematically, if I never hear any track from Dark Side of the Moon, or Another Brick in the Wall again, it'll be too soon.
OTOH, I consider "Wish you were here" to be a masterpiece, and can listen to its entirety anytime, anywhere.
Old 29th September 2017, 01:45 PM   #27
radiosmuck is offline radiosmuck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cher - Believe, well, any Auto-tuned crap.
Old 29th September 2017, 02:07 PM   #28
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Any track from Brothers in Arms especially Money For Nothing , played to demo early cd players at every hi - fi store in the country and if that wasn't enough seemed to be stuck on repeat at MTV .
Old 29th September 2017, 03:42 PM   #29
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

Ruined Songs
I worked in the repair shop of a local music store back in the '70s & '80s, when records were still being played. We also sold audio equipment (mostly Sony ES & McIntosh), so the shop had a few test LPs for repairing turntables. Too few, as it turned out.

The brass & woodwind tech (with whom we shared the shop) had a bit of a temper, and after hearing the same record for the Nth time, he would quietly walk over to the electronics bench, carefully place the tonearm upon its rest, remove the disc, take it into his little brass buffing room, and nail it to the wall.

After a few years there was quite a collection on the Wall of Shame. I'm trying to remember some of the titles, it's been awhile. I know Heart's Dreamboat Annie was up there. That's all I can think of, I'm out of coffee this morning...
Old 29th September 2017, 04:20 PM   #30
Jim the Oldbie is offline Jim the Oldbie  United States
diyAudio Member

Ruined Songs
Here's a story I posted here a coupla years ago about how 2 of my favorite albums were ruined for quite a few years.

Ruined SongsHide this!Advertise here!