unintended sounds in popular recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This seems like a good place to ask. When I hear Since I've Been Loving You by Zeppelin I can't help but wonder what that intermittent squeaking noise is throughout the song. If you know the song surely you know what I'm referring to...what is that??

My guess is a squeaky reel or other circular device in rotation.

I know some others, care to guess what they are?

I guess it might depend how you look at it. It could be telling of how resolving your system is and how close of a listener you are.

The chirp in the Zeppelin track go much further into the track becoming layered in with the music and harder to decipher. Further in than I had realized since hearing it through time.

Some foreign nuances aren't quite so easy to detect in other songs.

On Sun Ra's "Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy", a phone rings at about halfway through the composition "Adventure-Equation". It's somewhat buried in the mix, but distinct if you're listening for it. Of course, since the Arkestra is in full cry at that point, no one answers it.

Tho not quite as popular as LZ, Glenn Gould is probably the biggest selling classical pianist.

His noisy piano and his rickety old wooden chair make all kinds of racket, on most of his recordings. He would not allow the piano action to be repaired, and he would not use the piano bench. And then he hummed loudly along with his playing. Critics have always complained, but it's just part of his art. Grows on your after a few decades. :D

This seems like a good place to ask. When I hear Since I've Been Loving You by Zeppelin I can't help but wonder what that intermittent squeaking noise is throughout the song. If you know the song surely you know what I'm referring to...what is that??

My guess is a squeaky reel or other circular device in rotation.

I know some others, care to guess what they are?

It is the squeak of the bass drum pedal.

For Beatles fans, there's a great old book, Beatles Recording Sessions, with very detailed notes, including many explanations for the various random noises that can be heard from time to time on these iconic recordings. It's fun to listen as you read to hear where, for example, one of the boys left a wine bottle sitting (and rattling) on top of the Leslie organ speaker. :)

My favorite recent discovery is on the multichannel DVD-Audio release of Donald Fagen's Kamakiriad. During the song "Countermoon," there are several random, very low-frequency (~28 Hz) noises that are fairly loud and somewhat startling. It sounds exactly like someone stumbling on the staircase outside my living room in the hallway of my apartment building. :eek:

I still haven't figured out what might have caused these sounds in the studio. Also, they are present on the stereo CD release, but at such a reduced level that I never noticed them until I went back and listened again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.