unintended sounds in popular recordings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thelonious Monk tended to mumble along as he played. Roland Kirk would vocalize whilst fluting, he sometimes managed it whilst playing three saxes simultaneously
Errol Garner sounded like a grumpy bear.

Long time ago I noticed that on King Crimson's Islands a noise can be heard on the song Islands. It sounds like someone is moving his chair on the floor or a door is closed. At the and of the record there are voices recorded - intentionally??

I don`t really know if those are unintended.
Before a recording gets released the mastering engineer would listen to it like a "few" times I would presume.
Hard to believe they would go unnoticed.

Unintended but certainly not unnoticed.
These were made analogue and there was no way of removing them without re-recording the whole thing and then the new, clean recording probably wouldn't have great feel and the 'flawed' one still sounded better overall.

As an extreme example if there was a small hiccup while recording Pink Floyd's Time but otherwise it is great do you think it would have been feasible to sinc the hundred clocks manually again just to get rid of a hiccup or cough somewhere in the background?

Either way the mastering engineer gets involved when everybody else has dispersed, gone 'home' partying and the recording studio is being used/booked by someone else, he has to make the best of what he is given because there was no other option.

Redbird (Redbird album - Wikipedia)

SY put me onto this and I really like it. Four people around a ribbon mike in a house. They do list in the 'with thanks' everything from dogs to delivery men. To me that makes it more real, as this is about as simple a record path as you can get.
I also purchased it thanks to SY, really natural recording made in a living room, catching all noises around.

This seems like a good place to ask. When I hear Since I've Been Loving You by Zeppelin I can't help but wonder what that intermittent squeaking noise is throughout the song. If you know the song surely you know what I'm referring to...what is that??

My guess is a squeaky reel or other circular device in rotation.

I know some others, care to guess what they are?

I think it's John Bonham's Bass Drum Pedal that squeaked. It's on a few of their Tracks. He obviously didn't have any oil !!!

The Police Siren in 'Starla' by The Smashing Pumpkins apparently was outside Billy Corgan's bedroom whilst he recorded his Vocal. Or so I read somewhere.

P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.