What was the last full album you listened to?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Don't agree with you. Golden Age of D&B ended around 2005 for me, the apex being around 2000. Since then... :(
I haven't heard something really very interesting in ages ( except maybe Zardonic).

Current incarnations are just plain boring copycat of 2000's tracks with dubstep's drum sounds. I got some interesting discussions with youngers dj believing they 'invented' things in the last few years: they obviously never heard about the 'classics' from Virus, Renegade Harware, Moving Shadow or Ram to name a few.

The guys looked at me strangely when i unpacked the 1200mk2 pair and my vinyl bag. None of them was able to mix with this gear( 'how do you match tempo with this?'!). Hmmmm..... a dj unable to match different tempi without a computer? Seems to be the norm now.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
For me DnB was stillborn.

Very provocative Charles! And why did you thinkso?
My interest for the genre ( excepting i'm a D&Bhead ) was the diversity of 'sounds' each artist/label had. From Jungle, It evoluted nicely until 'Pendullum' hype rise and all dj's wanted to be Andy C ( no more mixing of tracks but heavy cuts and track changes every 30seconds or so, which to me only the original is able to do well...).

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ok Charles.
It's a preference thing. I find you a bit severe though: i'm sure in every genre there is tracks which you won't find annoying 'in the right context' ( i'm with you about most jazz thingy and some metal too, despite playing it for almost 8 years in bands...).

In fact the older i get the more tracks/ artists i couldn't listen to , i find interesting. Even mainstream commercial music. That said i still have genre which are unlistenable to me... so i understand and respect your point.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yeah it was (is) an underground dance music scene with dedicated clubs ( The End in London, Le Rex in Paris) and played in free party/rave too. Mostly from UK ( one could say mostly from London).
It was huge in EU from 1995 to 2005/10 with few commercial success ( Goldie 'inner city life') but a lot of influence on the whole music scene (eg: D.Bowie productions from circa 1995/2000 used a lot of DnB beats and sounds, and in USA most Timbaland/Justin Timberlake early 2000's productions borrow a lot to D&B aesthetic).
You can still spot some gimmicks used in current productions, on tv,... Dubstep was heavily influenced by it too ( in fact if you lower bpm of typical D&B tracks from 180bpm to 120 you've got almost dubstep tracks structure but without the 'digital' synth sounds).

Anyway to stay on the theme the last album i listened to was:
Ed Rush/Optical 'Wormhole' mix CD. The one that made me (definetely) into all this.

Last edited: