Compression (why does everyone want a louder cd ?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I cant understand why studio engineers ectra have to compres the hell out of music, when one of the main points to music are the dynamics but they get lost when you over compress music.

I just recently bought the new foo fighters album "one by one"
and was dissapointed with the sound, if anyone knows the song "all my life" you'll probably notice that the verses which have no drumming in, are louder than the actual chorus which is meant to be the heavy part of the song.

i dont understand this
a lot of cd's recorded in the last few years could sound so much better and impacting if only they had some dynamics to it.

If i wanted it louder i would turn it up lol.

no affence to the foo fighters in any way they could be the victims of a bad recording engineer.

please tell us if you know of a realy good rock album that's been recorded well with not too much compression.

One thing I always hated was when a song starts out with a killer guitar solo and then the other instruments come in and the original guitar is muted.

CD sales are driven by people with stock stereos, and on those stereos louder sounds better to them.

The MTV Unplugged CDs don't seem to have very much compression and are excellent recordings.

I guess so many poeple enjoy that "radio" sound :rolleyes:

Music on Satellite and stuff have always been like that too. The Fast & The Furious is one of the worst DVD's I have with it. You'd think a car movie would have great sound quality...ala Days Of Thunder (especially on LD! :devilr: )

Actually alot DVD's...well earlier ones seem to be really compressed, seemed no matter how loud it was it just wan't as engaging as the LD version.

yeah i know exactly what you mean youv'e just reminded me of when your watching a film and then the adverts come on blaring out like mad.

Thanks for the link to that site Wombat by the way

actualy maybee they think the spikes in the sound of a uncompressed cd would blow up a crap stereo so that's why they use compression.

you never know lol

Personally, I think the sequence of forces at work are as follows:
  • How do you get the prospective buyer to listen to a new song he's never heard? In the US, it appears the answer is by catching him when he's listening to the car radio, while driving. Americans seem to spend a lot of time in cars. And America is a big market.
  • Second: if you want to get the listener's attention while he's driving, you can't indulge in fanciful ideas like wide dynamics. Just give him the drumbeat or guitar or whatever, and hit him with loud sound. That's why probably no one listens to symphony music while driving.... the dynamic range would be too distracting while driving. I've seen one person playing his Blaupunkt car stereo with Beethoven's Fifth, and the stereo would completely mute the audio and fast-forward the tape (it was a cassette) during the softer passages, because it deduced that the signal strength was too low for there to be any musical content in it. That's the world of car audio.
Moral of the story: if more people listened to music sitting down in their homes, and not as background music, the commercial guys at the studios would have thought up some other tricks to sell their albums, but compression may not have been one of them.

Incidentally, let's not blame inexpensive combo home systems. Even pretty inexpensive ones usually provide a listening experience with a much wider dynamic range than music listening in a car. It's a function of the environment, not the audio system. Boomboxes may not sound particularly detailed and delicate, but they'll let you hear quite a wide dynamic range (maybe 60dB or more) in a quiet home quite clearly. I suspect that inside all but the most luxuriously padded cars, this range will be less than 30dB.

"It's a function of the environment, not the audio system."

I must disagree. It's a function of the Producer of the CD.
The Producer doesn't understand that the cheap audio systems of today are vastly superior to those of a few years ago.

The Producer is still "Keepin' up with the 80's".

Well, I can say that in a car audio situation, compression does make sense. Who's going to hear the quiet passages over tire hum? And no one would want dynamic peaks to distract them from driving. But at home, I really hate the compression. It takes all the life and emotion away from the music, especially electronic, where the peaks can be VERY loud if recorded properly. When I record anything, I never compress the sound for that same reason. Therefore, Daft Punk is an embarassment to the industry.
-peace

dmitriy167 said:
Well, I can say that in a car audio situation, compression does make sense. Who's going to hear the quiet passages over tire hum?
Fully agree. It is important to realise that what sounds "best" in a moving car is probably different in many ways from what sounds "best" in a quiet home. Ditto, a large auditorium, and ditto, the monitoring station of a recording studio.

For today's disposable mainstream pop heavy compression might be a good thing since it is listened to mainly on cheap gear and car audio, where hevy compression helps to overcome SPL limitations.

It is the producers and the performers who dictate how a recording should sound and not the engineer (unfortunately).

I was attending an AES meeting last week where an engineer from a famous recording studio said, that one has to deliver the quality that the customer is asking for (neither better nor worse) in order to make ends meet.
And yes, in his opinion the majority of the best recordings were made before the introduction of the CD. But he also mentioned the gut feeling that the request for quality might increase in the near future, so he will be allowed (!) to deliver the sound quality that his high-resolution gear is capable of to the enduser one fine day.

Regards

Charles

In an ideal world, the simple answer to all of this would be to put the compression hardware in the playback unit. That way, a car stereo could be set up to give max compression (like the way some stereos use a signal from the speedo to raise the volume when the car is being driven fast), and home receivers can switch it off.
I believe DAB radio has this ability, but knowing what radio stations are like in the UK, they probably compress at source anyway :whazzat:
I'm sure someone will confirm/deny, but I also recall that AC3 has dynamic range markers of some sort in the datastream, so that compression can be performed without horrible "pumping" effects.

Arnie

thnks for informing me that AC3 has dynamic range markers scince i will be recording my album using ac3
exelent idea arniel but i wish they did build compressers into car radios ectra..
Hopefully the future looks bright fore music recording hopefully

StratoFan that sucks man

You know that old saying if you want something done properly try to do it yourself only you know how it should sound if it's your songs..

of course you might have to learn sum stuff but it would pay off in the end..

by the way im a stratofan but i only have a epiphone gbson copy.

Rixsta said:

StratoFan that sucks man

You know that old saying if you want something done properly try to do it yourself only you know how it should sound if it's your songs..

of course you might have to learn sum stuff but it would pay off in the end..

Yes, you all right, but to record drum tracks is not easy like to record guitars or keyboards. Lot of good quality microphones, good acoustic environment required, and enginer who not absolute stupid.

by the way im a stratofan but i only have a epiphone gbson copy.

By the way, I have Yamaha strato copy, but this is not the best for me. I will change my Yamaha strat to some real rock guitar like LTD or something else. My nick mean I like fin band called Stratovarius :) not Stratocaster :devilr: :smash:

Iv'e got to admit i didn't think of drums. doh
mainly because the songs i record i use loops and samples for drums.

Stratocaster. lol

i use a delta 1010 soundcard to record my stuff and try not to use too much compression.

i miss having a whammy/tremlo on my guitar cant do that deep purple stuff without it.

Stratovarius sound like prog rock just a wild guess though
i will check out Stratovarius you can hear one of my songs if you wish just click on the www. below

ps: do you have a link to one of your song hope you dont think im being nosey. lol

Rixsta said:
Stratovarius sound like prog rock just a wild guess though
i will check out Stratovarius you can hear one of my songs if you wish just click on the www. below

ps: do you have a link to one of your song hope you dont think im being nosey. lol

Hi Rixsta :)

Stratovarius going to play prog rock in the last album only. Originally Stratovarius made very good powermetal.

Well thanks for the link of your songs, cool, try this: www :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.