Really really BAD music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had some ideas that music ought to be regarded as objective bad or good. An the guy in the video addresses just the points that sort out bad music from good music.
It is one thing to like some music and dislike other, and I believe that there are good RnB, German schlager, disco and Swedish danceband music.
But looking at the lyrics, how inventive the music is, the dynamics, the use of instruments etc etc, I simply say that OBJECTIVELY there are bad music.

I have had some ideas that music ought to be regarded as objective bad or good. An the guy in the video addresses just the points that sort out bad music from good music.
It is one thing to like some music and dislike other, and I believe that there are good RnB, German schlager, disco and Swedish danceband music.
But looking at the lyrics, how inventive the music is, the dynamics, the use of instruments etc etc, I simply say that OBJECTIVELY there are bad music.

Binary thinking is objectively limited, and so this treatise on objectively good/bad must then be necessarily objectively limited and thus incomplete.

Additionally, things like “looking at the lyrics” (I am assuming you mean lyric quality?), “inventiveness”, “use of instruments” (I’m assuming this means complexity of the music?) and so forth are in their nature subjective interpretations and have no business in your quest for objectivity.

To say some art is objectively good or bad is like saying that people are objectively good or bad. Sometimes we say this sort of thing as shorthand but more a cognitive bias and limitation than a skill. Using this kind of dichotomy to proclaim that you know what has value suggests lack of vision, imagination, compassion and empathy.

Once you go down that road gas chambers aren’t far away.

What claims objectivity is often just subjective experiences comparing notes with one another at scale and then proceeding on to beat their own chests like apes.

Last edited:
I meant that by disassembling the music and look at the "quality" at each subpart, it would be possible to see and say something about the overall quality and rate the music, much like you rate movies.
Another thing is our personal preferences: "The critics said it was a movie for mentally retarded people, but I liked it a lot ...". That's another BIG issue.
You listen to XXX who sings, heavily aided by autotune, accompanied by a drum machine and say NOOOOO! but you listen to your Fripp, Eno and Michael Brook records and hear one sound repeat itself 253 times ...

On the other hand, I am pretty much annoyed that the only misc I hear when I turn on my radio is this modern radiopop. Where're all the other great music that has a lot more soul and life?

I share your distaste for the music on the radio.

Maybe time to rely more upon other mediums?

I have only ever preset one station in my car (NPR) and have never changed the station in many years except for hurricane / natural disaster.
(NPR is Public Radio in America, like BBC etc.)

But the battle you are fighting is of the uphill, Sisyphean variety.

My previous comments still stand.

Last edited:
.....When sitting in my car, I mostly listen to national radio channel 1, where there are documentaries, discussions, facts, economics, politics (and no music).
Same here ABC RN, ABC Local or ABC podcasts which all have very little music.....commercial radio drives me out of the room.

Sometimes I listen to Spotify and mostly let preset playmixes run...ok for BG music.
If I want to enjoy music I find something in my collection...2TB.

Community radio gets a listen too, like right now I am waiting for a friends weekly Saturday night Reggae slot - Home | Radio Fremantle 107.9 - I & I Sounds

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.