No time to ring out a room - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 12th November 2015, 05:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default No time to ring out a room

Hello, I am new to live sound engineering. I was wondering if anyone had advice when going to a new venue and not having the time to properly ring the room out. I find it difficult when I have never used the equipment before and have never been in the venue before. Are there any short cuts to save time?
Old 26th November 2015, 04:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
so many variables come into play with a quick one off show on someone else's rig and if your a support or opening act sometimes being limited on both time and access to things like house or monitor eq means being left with only individual channel eq.
if there's a talkback mic at the house mix position sometimes that and your voice are the only quick way to get an idea what the rig and room will be like.
short cuts depend on how good you are at presetting a mix on what you learn from your "quick vocal test" and from there estimating(pre tuning) channels checking things like high pass filter for vocal channels, making sure routing assignment to sub groups and all aux and monitor assignment are correct and within reason (you don't want to start your show with feedback wailing away through monitors or the house)
Old 26th November 2015, 04:27 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
Agreed. There are a lot of EQ things you can do in advance that will keep you safe and get you started.
Knowing what they are usually only comes with experience, but you gotta start somewhere.
I almost always pull out 125Hz from the mains, sometimes 250 Hz. Helps clear up the mud. As Turk says, start with a strict vocal EQ. Loosen it up during the show as time permits. Try to limit the bandwidth of most inputs to their essential ranges. Watch your gains.

And yes, an SM58 and your voice can give you a very quick idea of what to expect.
Take the Speaker Voltage Test!

Hide this!Advertise here!