Caffeine & Music - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2015, 04:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Caffeine & Music

So...

Gotta wonder here. I have incredibly strong autonomous sensory meridian response to good music. When I describe it to my friends, they say it sounds like I am high. Someone who isn't me tried weed for medicinal reasons... brain infection that was nearly fatal, but it just induces sleep. Also tried MDMA... very little noticeable effect, likely due to my physical condition.

HOWEVER.

Caffeine. Crazy... really, really, crazy. I can drink a few cups of coffee or some red bull, then sit and listen to music for 10 hours straight. It's incredible how time flies.

When I have enough caffeine in the system, I can hear with exceptional focus. Sometimes it's frustrating when the music isn't quite right or the system I am using has unwanted characteristics.

Compression can cause a little bit of nausea in this state, and sub-bass becomes much less important to me... normally I am a total bass head.

Can anyone sympathize with me here? Anyone else go on music trips just with caffeine?

If so, what type of music do you prefer in a caffeinated state? Is that different than normal?

Last edited by bobthedespot; 8th August 2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 9th August 2015, 08:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't know. Haven't tried listening to music WITHOUT caffeine since I was about 20.
Doc
Old 9th August 2015, 12:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hard to tell.
For the last 35 years or so I haven't tried breathing without caffeine never mind listening to music.
Old 18th August 2015, 06:23 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

doc, dare the hopelessly obtuse ask the translation of that signature line
Old 18th August 2015, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Caffeine is not a magic drug, it simply causes glycogen (starch stored in the liver) to be converted to glucose, which increases blood sugar to the brain, allowing the brain to function at higher than normal energy level. You can perceive more details and meaning in the music and you can appreciate the music more deeply when the brain is fired up on sugar. And if the music is especially strong, or triggers memories associated with previous happy events, the music may even trigger a significant dopamine response, which is the ultimate prize.
Old 18th August 2015, 10:36 PM   #6
mcd99 is online now mcd99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not sure about caffeine but just the right music can cause a mood lift alone. The right tune can send shivers down my spine and make my hairs stand up on end. Is this normal?

The following I do not advocate and I doubt is healthy...

Starvation can have an interesting effect when listening to music. I have pretty low body fat so doesn't take long without food before I start to suffer. Once the sufferance starts then one interesting effect is that my mood lifts and falls with the music. (especially EDM) Almost like flight or fight is starting to kick in and my GABA system is switching off? I do try to avoid this state though.

Paul
Old 18th August 2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Great music, and great sound systems, should be matched with great coffee. Having a life long love affair with all three I can easily recommend www.SodoiCoffee.com as the best I've ever had.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Paul,

I know exactly what you are talking about, both with the shivers and the starvation.

My research indicates that our shared experience is linked to bipolar disorder.

I have spent 10-12 hours before, just listening to music and drinking red bull, when I had not eaten in 2-3 days. This is not rare, and it is extremely pleasant.

I'll check out sodoicoffee. Thanks for the tip.
Old 19th August 2015, 05:54 AM   #9
mcd99 is online now mcd99  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthedespot View Post
Paul,

I know exactly what you are talking about, both with the shivers and the starvation.

My research indicates that our shared experience is linked to bipolar disorder.

I have spent 10-12 hours before, just listening to music and drinking red bull, when I had not eaten in 2-3 days. This is not rare, and it is extremely pleasant.

I'll check out sodoicoffee. Thanks for the tip.
Not just me then. The other interesting point about listening to music in starvation mode is that I get strange emotions to tones or effects. Sometimes "long pan" sounds can cause a senses of fear...

You mention bipolar disorder. I have been treated for depression in the past but these days I think adult ADHD is more likely. The way I am matches the symptoms and the coping methods. Has ADHD appeared in your research?
Old 19th August 2015, 01:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd99 View Post
Not just me then. The other interesting point about listening to music in starvation mode is that I get strange emotions to tones or effects. Sometimes "long pan" sounds can cause a senses of fear...

You mention bipolar disorder. I have been treated for depression in the past but these days I think adult ADHD is more likely. The way I am matches the symptoms and the coping methods. Has ADHD appeared in your research?
Tonality - timbre - has a profound effect on our cerebellum, and can help us remember feelings that go with memories...

As far as bipolar/adhd go, I have a family history of bipolar, but I have only been treated for/told I have hyperactivity. The shivers you talk about are known as ASMR, and they go hand in hand with add/adhd.

CBD oils completely reverse any felt effects for me from caffeine, lack of food, lack of sleep. The musical experience can still be incredibly rich, but it is much more emotionally separate from how I feel. I find that listening to really complicated music, like Mahler, Copeland, Abasi, etc... much more pleasing when I am free to observe and listen instead of being swept away by the music.

Hide this!Advertise here!