I am seeking some particular Jazz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2015, 06:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I am seeking some particular Jazz

Hi
I recently entered the world of good hifi (albeit vintage). Now I can hear the material of a snare and have the imaging of sitting in front of a stage I am looking to open up my music tastes.

My wife loves what she calls dinner jazz but I have never been much of a fan. She recently got the album "No Deal" by "Melanie De Biasio" which I have fallen in love with.

Can anyone please recommend some similar music or even just suitable stuff?

I like piano, double bass, soft Jazz drums and laid back female vocals. I really can't deal with anything that is erratic going up and down all the time. Not a lover of Saz or clarinet.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Recommending music is always like rolling dice, but try these. They are HD 20 bit recordings.

Olivia Ong - A Girl Meets Bossanova 2

Hiroko Kokubu - Pure Heart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olivia.jpg (147.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg hiroko.JPG (373.5 KB, 95 views)
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 24th June 2015, 07:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Heh, yea its a 100 sided dice. Tricky ask for sure.

Thanks for suggestions HollowState. My wife would love these but I think they still fall in the "dinner jazz" thing. I hope you don't mind me saying "bit too cheesy". Still interesting music.

I guess one of the big things I like about Melanie De Biasio is her modern production. Lots of space with lush reverbs.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you are open to instrumental, and you haven't heard it yet, I recommend checking out Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's "Beyond the Missouri Sky." Beautifully laid back stuff.

For female vocals, make sure to check out Chie Ayado's "Good Life" (any of her stuff, really), and if you haven't heard it yet I highly recommend "The Best of Eva Cassidy". Not 100% jazz, but excellent nonetheless. Then there is the huge library of tracks on the "Best Audiophile Voices" and "Best Audiophile Jazz Voices" CD sets. A must have, IMO.

So many directions to go in Jazz. I have not heard any of Melanie's stuff till today (thanks for that) but my first reaction was "hmmm, sort of Joni Mitchell-ish..." I find Joni a bit "inaccessible" but Melanie's stuff is nice so far. I think I will pick up that album.

Best of luck in your search.

P.S. If you want something a bit more light-hearted or upbeat for dinner, my current goto artist is Astrud Gilberto.

(Then there is the whole world of Gypsy Jazz. If you don't know what it is, find out. Addictive stuff that is!)

Last edited by cogitech; 24th June 2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 24th June 2015, 08:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
(Then there is the whole world of Gypsy Jazz. If you don't know what it is, find out. Addictive stuff that is!)
One of my all time favorites! Been into Django for many years. Now there's a whole new bunch of guitarists that really swing.

Maybe try Sara Lazarus with Gypsy Project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MI0001558691.jpg (31.2 KB, 84 views)
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 24th June 2015, 08:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowState View Post
One of my all time favorites! Been into Django for many years. Now there's a whole new bunch of guitarists that really swing.

I'm familiar with Sara, but it's the speedy guitarists that get my juices flowing and my feet tapping!

If I ever finally learn to play that acoustic guitar that I received as a gift years ago, I'll be learning to play gypsy jazz!
Old 24th June 2015, 08:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all those cogitech. Glad to hear your first impression of Melanie's music is positive.

Eva Cassidy is not what I am looking for but she will be on the to get list.

Putting Best Audiophile Jazz Voices and auditioning whats coming up I like Emmy Rossum and Keiko Matsui so will pick some of their stuff up too.

Gypsy jazz seemed intriguing but no not my thing. I am normally into electronic music and the odd bit of world music.
Old 24th June 2015, 08:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowState View Post
Thanks, I like this
Old 24th June 2015, 09:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

When I was young I never appreciated piano music very much. But as I got older I began to like it. Keiko Matsui was one of the instigators of my conversion along with Rachmanioff and a few others. But Hiromi Uehara really rocked my musical world. She is a phenomenal player with a wide range of styles from soft and gentle to pounding the keyboard with her fists. Try sampling some of her music. And watch her face as she plays. I think she has orgasms while doing so.

And then there's Chihiro Yamanaka in the studio and on stage.

Last edited by HollowState; 24th June 2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 24th June 2015, 10:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If it's clean guitar work you're after, you may enjoy:

Charlie Hunter (especially his self-titled album)

Leo Kottke (a bit folky by some standards, but he's a virtuoso on 12-string)

Ron Carter Quartet (bass guitarist, Parfait is a favorite of mine)

Hide this!Advertise here!