I am seeking some particular Jazz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I recently entered the world of good hifi (albeit vintage). Now I can hear the material of a snare and have the imaging of sitting in front of a stage I am looking to open up my music tastes.

My wife loves what she calls dinner jazz but I have never been much of a fan. She recently got the album "No Deal" by "Melanie De Biasio" which I have fallen in love with.

Can anyone please recommend some similar music or even just suitable stuff?

I like piano, double bass, soft Jazz drums and laid back female vocals. I really can't deal with anything that is erratic going up and down all the time. Not a lover of Saz or clarinet.

Attachments

• olivia.jpg
    olivia.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 163
  • hiroko.JPG
    hiroko.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 163
Heh, yea its a 100 sided dice. Tricky ask for sure.

Thanks for suggestions HollowState. My wife would love these but I think they still fall in the "dinner jazz" thing. I hope you don't mind me saying "bit too cheesy". Still interesting music.

I guess one of the big things I like about Melanie De Biasio is her modern production. Lots of space with lush reverbs.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you are open to instrumental, and you haven't heard it yet, I recommend checking out Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny's "Beyond the Missouri Sky." Beautifully laid back stuff.

For female vocals, make sure to check out Chie Ayado's "Good Life" (any of her stuff, really), and if you haven't heard it yet I highly recommend "The Best of Eva Cassidy". Not 100% jazz, but excellent nonetheless. Then there is the huge library of tracks on the "Best Audiophile Voices" and "Best Audiophile Jazz Voices" CD sets. A must have, IMO.

So many directions to go in Jazz. I have not heard any of Melanie's stuff till today (thanks for that) but my first reaction was "hmmm, sort of Joni Mitchell-ish..." I find Joni a bit "inaccessible" but Melanie's stuff is nice so far. I think I will pick up that album.

Best of luck in your search.

P.S. If you want something a bit more light-hearted or upbeat for dinner, my current goto artist is Astrud Gilberto.

(Then there is the whole world of Gypsy Jazz. If you don't know what it is, find out. Addictive stuff that is!)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
One of my all time favorites! Been into Django for many years. Now there's a whole new bunch of guitarists that really swing.

Maybe try Sara Lazarus with Gypsy Project

I'm familiar with Sara, but it's the speedy guitarists that get my juices flowing and my feet tapping!

If I ever finally learn to play that acoustic guitar that I received as a gift years ago, I'll be learning to play gypsy jazz!

Thanks for all those cogitech. Glad to hear your first impression of Melanie's music is positive.

Eva Cassidy is not what I am looking for but she will be on the to get list.

Putting Best Audiophile Jazz Voices and auditioning whats coming up I like Emmy Rossum and Keiko Matsui so will pick some of their stuff up too.

Gypsy jazz seemed intriguing but no not my thing. I am normally into electronic music and the odd bit of world music.

When I was young I never appreciated piano music very much. But as I got older I began to like it. Keiko Matsui was one of the instigators of my conversion along with Rachmanioff and a few others. But Hiromi Uehara really rocked my musical world. She is a phenomenal player with a wide range of styles from soft and gentle to pounding the keyboard with her fists. Try sampling some of her music. And watch her face as she plays. I think she has orgasms while doing so.

And then there's Chihiro Yamanaka in the studio and on stage.

Last edited:
a few non-dinner, premature anti-postmodernist recommendations

I'm not an accomplished listener of jazz vocalists, but here are some instrumental cuts that might lead you down some amusing paths.

The current crop of ECM artists have some very interesting ideas:

Try some Lars Danielsson here from the album Tarantella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgP1bS0UNec

Also the Helge Lien Trio is on my 'evening soothing' list - low dynamics, quiet pace, but always musically interesting and not soupy - from the album Badgers And Other Beings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0XqvZ514o

Leszek Mozdzer (who, by name alone, should have been a vampire) is another interesting pianist - here with Lars Danielsson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTgrVA99vn8

Finally, a bit more dynamic and rhythmically challenging, but I believe one of the most involving and interesting trios today Hiromi Uehara here with Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips from the 'Alive' album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8HinFaQhk

Listen carefully, you'll be tested and eviscerated later:eek:

Cheers

Jim

BTW - see that Hollowstate already recommended Hiromi, consider this a 'Plus 1' then - she really is a performing phenom - the damn piano can barely contain her...

Last edited:
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

An oldie but definitely a goodie. Remains a favorite in our family for over a decade despite being played scores of times. It is very lyrical and laid back ....great to listen to closely and also great playing quietly in the background. Hell, even my teenage daughter loves it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kind-Blue-Miles-Davis/dp/B000002ADT

To quote from Amazon (note the 1273 reviews!)
"Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Well, if you're going to revamp your jazz catalog, you might as well start with the greatest jazz album of all time! .....
Amazon.com
This is the one jazz record owned by people who don't listen to jazz, and with good reason. The band itself is extraordinary (proof of Miles Davis's masterful casting skills, if not of God's existence),....."

If you're just discovering jazz in general (or have been listening for decades) - you'd likely enjoy KUVO; they broadcast out of Denver, Colorado - but stream on the web too. They play jazz 24/7, and with different shows throughout the week you'll get to hear an immense variety.

I really love KKJZ, out of Cal State Long Beach:
KJAZZ 88.1 FM | Listen

For more specifically softer stuff, I'm flashing on early Diana Krall albums, Grover Washington Jr. (Winelight in particular), and George Benson circa Give Me The Night. Depending what you're looking for you might also dial up Doris Day and Helen O'Connell. And I really like John Mayall's The Turning Point-yeah, he was supposedly a pop artist but this is really jazz, and very uniquely drummerless.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks to both who have posted streams! I've added them to my MPD player, so they are just a "screen tap" away. While we are sharing, check out jazz24.org if you have not yet. They have a direct stream as well, if you don't want to use your browser to listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.