Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Thread proposal - Socratic discussion - What is Music?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2015, 02:23 PM   #31
Binely is offline Binely  United States
diyAudio Member

Music is collective life interaction? I'm not sure how to express this and have to go for now.
Old 25th June 2015, 11:05 AM   #32
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binely View Post
Music is collective life interaction?
Sort of.

Quote:
Sync -Music is the international language.

When it real and comes from within, there isn't much better.

It is even better when you are playing with a bunch of guys
and gals and "IT" happens. Your fellow musicians know
and they hear/feel it.
Yeah. Your brainwaves are all in sync some of that time. [ ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQwDVf3ydUM

[Memo to self: Music is a process, using pitched and rhythmic sounds and movements, with which monadic creatures, such as ourselves, make primordial emotional experience available to each other. I said we have a need to do this.]

Binely and Sync, We're on to something. Look at this, it's only about 3 min:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLQ5JC9Crk

People, rich and poor, every year spend what adds up to billions of dollars on music, spend uncountable hours making music and even more hours listening to it. This expenditure, of time particularly, tells us it's a vital thing for us and so looking at the "what is music" question is interesting.

Other folk think so, as well. Using Google Advanced Search, entering in exact phrase box, 'response to music', gives 4,270,000 entries! Google Scholar gives 7,360 entries. 'What is music?' gives 395,000.

Fortunately, when I saw Bineley's original post, I was slashing around on YouTube, (not Google search), watching classes being given by opera stars to students. Some of the uploaded "masterclasses" are horrible and those great artists should not be allowed within a 1000 miles of an aspiring musician but others are brilliant teachers and it's a pleasure to watch them in action - Hampson, DiDonato, Racette, Fleming, Finley. It was from watching them, probably Hampson or DiDonato, or DiDonato's interview with Janet Baker I cobbled this description of music:

Music is a process, using pitched and rhythmic sounds and movements, with which monadic creatures, such as ourselves, make primordial emotional experience available to each other.

I said we have a need to do this.

I think the process and need are results of evolutionary pressure.

Music, (and other arts), is what we do as performers and audience to get us around a serious difficulty created in concert with developing greater intelligence, imagination, and a very limited freedom from instinct, and it's this:

We are unable to directly know the sensory perception, thoughts and feelings of others, and we are unable to directly let them know ours. We even have trouble sometimes knowing our own feelings and thoughts. To a degree, sometimes quite severe, others and ourselves are a mystery, and everybody at some point is a stranger, even close family members.

Too much strangeness - alien-ness - brings up the issue of trust which, in face of nature, competition from other humans, and human imagination, is a necessity for individual and group survival. Music suppressed the golem of mistrust by sneaking in under the newly developed reason, consciousness, and imagination using derivatives of the sounds and cries our ancestors' ancestors made when undergoing sensations of pain, pleasure, submission, domination, anger, fear, affection, abandonment and, no doubt, sounds and cries they made singing and dancing.

Our ancestors knowing nothing of evolution, but like us, believing nothing succeeds like excess, kept refining the cadences, resolutions, rhythms and sounds.

This is pretty subjective. I think that's OK cuz that's where we live.

Gory details, like how it works, are missing.
Old 27th June 2015, 07:57 AM   #33
SyncTronX is offline SyncTronX  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't confuse the process of making music
with the analysis of music. They are different.

I'm not a singer yet I sing all the time to my little
girl. She's 2yrs and 1 month. Lately it's been about

Doing a Dootie for Daddy.
Do a dootie for daddy and make him happy.
Do a dootie for you and make a poo.
Do a dootie for daddy and not in your shoe-ie.

We are in potty training.
and is really pisses me off.
It only took a 7 week old pup once.
my little girl is taking months. : (

Singing works....even though I'm not a singer.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:05 PM   #34
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been busy. Just checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncTronX View Post
Don't confuse the process of making music
with the analysis of music. They are different.
I don't understand what you're aiming at here. Perhaps you could explain.

Regarding the following, don't you only know for certain, (at time of writing), that your little girl hears her daddy singing to her?

Quote:
I'm not a singer yet I sing all the time to my little
girl. She's 2yrs and 1 month. Lately it's been about

Doing a Dootie for Daddy.
Do a dootie for daddy and make him happy.
Do a dootie for you and make a poo.
Do a dootie for daddy and not in your shoe-ie.

We are in potty training.
and is really pisses me off.
It only took a 7 week old pup once.
my little girl is taking months. : (

Singing works....even though I'm not a singer.
Old 11th July 2015, 01:00 PM   #35
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

"Music is spiritual food and irreplaceable. Anyone who does not live with it: will live and die in spiritual anemia. Spiritual life is not complete without music. There are regions of the soul, which can only lighten by music."

Quote of Zoltán Kodály.

Translate is mine. Sorry for my crappy english.
Gyuri
Old 24th January 2018, 09:14 PM   #36
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.” FZ
Old 24th January 2018, 09:33 PM   #37
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Thread proposal - Socratic discussion - What is Music?Hide this!Advertise here!