Led Zeppelin re-masters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's my understanding that although Jimmy Page's re-master tapes might be hires, they don't appear to be offering them for sale in hires. Just CDs, LPs, and MP3s.

I've heard some squirrelly things about HDtraks, like their offerings being upsampled copies of CD digital recording, and the like. IOW, not sourced from true hirez masters. Don't know if this is true or not. But if they do offer Led Z in hires, are they from Page's re-masters or other sources?

It's my understanding that although Jimmy Page's re-master tapes might be hires, they don't appear to be offering them for sale in hires. Just CDs, LPs, and MP3s.
Really? Did you actually think before you wrote this? Who is 'they'. The hi res versions of LZ1, 2 and 3 have been on sale for months. LZ4 and HOTH came out more recently. 2 earier posts in this very short thread have already said that hi res down loads are for sale.

I've bought all 5 albums as down loads 24/96k, from HDTracks. They sound good. You could check Pono, ProStudio Masters as well - they will probably be selling these.

Last edited:
Really? Did you actually think before you wrote this? Who is 'they'. The hi res versions of LZ1, 2 and 3 have been on sale for months. LZ4 and HOTH came out more recently. 2 earier posts in this very short thread have already said that hi res down loads are for sale.

I've bought all 5 albums as down loads 24/96k, from HDTracks. They sound good. You could check Pono, ProStudio Masters as well - they will probably be selling these.

"They" are Led Zeppelin Official Website - Physical Graffiti - ledzeppelin.com. I figured that if anyone had the hires downloads, it would be them, as they offered digital downloads in MP3, and didn't mention any hirez available anywhere. But your rudeness prompted me to go to HDTracks and check further, and they do say they were mastered by Page. Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

"They" are Led Zeppelin Official Website - Physical Graffiti - ledzeppelin.com. I figured that if anyone had the hires downloads, it would be them, as they offered digital downloads in MP3, and didn't mention any hirez available anywhere. But your rudeness prompted me to go to HDTracks and check further, and they do say they were mastered by Page. Goodnight, and have a pleasant tomorrow.
My apologies for being rude, it was uncalled for.

In Post #7, 2 posts before your own, it was already stated that hi res files were available on HDTracks. If my rudeness prompted you to look at HDTracks then it did achieve something.

Last edited:
hahahaaaaa.. thats so bloody funny. the whole point in Page doing this was because of bad sounding MP3's and guess what... yup they are selling MP3 versions. talk about double standards.

there was nothing wrong with the originals they sounded raw and for that they had a 'charm' to their sound so why cant we just have properly pressed reissues of those please but no they have to mess with the classics.

yes they might sound good but do they sound like cleaned up masters with the same levels set on each instrument or have the levels been messed with as per usual to make them sound different. i personally dont want different i want just cleaned up thanks.

i dont think he would remix from multitrack,he probably remastered from the original 2 track masters. makes me wonder how 45 year old tape has any hi freq left. Or how many generation of tape its been thru, or had it bin transfered to digital 20 years ago, etc.

and the biggest thing, how much compression/limiting did he do.

it's likely that Page does have multi track originals or at least a copy of them taken at the time.

i think i'll grab a few on CD or see if i can get hirez ones and make a decision on how well they have been done.

the only remastered CD (i dont have that many) that i have listened to that has been done properly Rush - Moving Pictures which is a masterpiece or re-engineering and if all were to sound that good it would be superb i even have the hirez blu-ray.

well i'm going to have to eat my words... got Physical Graffiti for a xmas prezzy and i must say its not half bad. the rawness of the originals is still present but just cleaner background. bad points are Plant's vocals are a bit sibilant and the 'power' of cashmere is missing. most impressive is how well Bonham's drums have been cleaned up. levels are superb with no clipping to be seen checking with Audacity, no 'loudness wars' on these CD's :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.