Buy or Rent - music ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2014, 12:29 AM   #1
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Buy or Rent - music ?

I realized I don't really own a lot of music. I gave away my vinyl before I knew better. I have some iTunes stuff but not a lot. I have a pile of CDs but they don't get used much. I listen a lot to FM and surprisingly I like to use You Tube because it's easy to find stuff I don't have.

So I need to widen my choice of music for when the FM isn't doing what I want. I could go out and buy a lot of music and store it on a hard drive. Or I could sign up for one of those internet streaming services where I simply play what I want without owning it. I have fast internet but no outboard DAC as yet.

I do want good quality - MP3 doesn't cut it for me, CD through a YBA player does. FM radio is variable, some stations are good, most are poor.

It seems to me that I would be better off with a subscription service rather than buying more music.

This was a surprising conclusion for me, I had not considered any of these 'modern' services until today.

Thoughts / advice ??
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th September 2014, 02:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try the local Public Library...mine gets about $300 per year of my property tax dollars and has a surprisingly good CD collection, so it seems fair usage to me! Most of the pop stuff is in rough shape but, as you might expect the jazz and classical collections are pristine. I can browse the collection from my chair, reserve a set of discs online and they are bundled ready on the shelf when I arrive.
Old 20th September 2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Vasquo is offline Vasquo  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out Spotify. If you have their paid plan, you can store music locally on your computer/mobile device and don't need to be connected online to play it. Also higher bit rate 320Khz I think, ogg vorbis.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you also have music... and movies... and free 2 day shipping.
Old 20th September 2014, 02:31 AM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquo View Post
Check out Spotify. If you have their paid plan, you can store music locally on your computer/mobile device and don't need to be connected online to play it. Also higher bit rate 320Khz I think, ogg vorbis.

If you're an Amazon Prime member, you also have music... and movies... and free 2 day shipping.
I'll second Spotify, try the free version. You'll be surprised how much they have for free.
Old 20th September 2014, 03:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

As someone that's been collecting music for many years I use several formats. Vinyl, CD, RTR tape and downloaded files. I have somewhere between 1500 and 1800 vinyl records including direct to disc, half speed masters, and other audiophile labels mixed in. But I hardly play them anymore because I find CDs much more convenient.

For my favorite artists I enjoy having the hard copy with the artwork be it CD or vinyl. And I have varied tastes in music as many do. Mine runs from classical, jazz, gypsy jazz to female singers and even J-pop. This partly helps determine the format. The Japanese release music differently then other countries. First out is a limited edition CD called a first press which may have extra cuts, a DVD and/or different artwork. These are followed by the regular edition at a lower price. So there is a "collection factor" with these.

I haven't started yet with high res music files. But I do have some MP3 stuff because the music isn't available any other way. MP3's run hot and cold. Most of them come from the free download sites and "listen to youtube" dot com.
Old 22nd September 2014, 04:58 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

well, until you decide on the final solution to your sourcing needs, there's a tonne of decent web streaming radio stations - since you're paying for the internets, I guess it's "rental"?

KPLU -Seattle Tacoma - Jazz, and weekend evenings a very eclectic selection of Blues from the earliest til today - tonight's current playlist (around 9:30 Pacific Time) is pretty damn cool - within the past 20 min Mud Morganfield, John Scofield & John Mayer, McKinley Morganfield, and as I'm typing this , Blind Boys of Alabama

not a bad way to waste a few hours on a weekend evening

cheers
Old 22nd September 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JRKO
Check out B&W music service. It's an annual subscription with some pretty good stuff. From Peter Gabriel and others at his own studio to LSO recordings.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm beginning to think I'll have the most flexibility with a USB DAC.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I use you-tube for music.
They have pretty much every track on there.
As a bonus you get the video too.
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:03 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I'm beginning to think I'll have the most flexibility with a USB DAC.
I bought a cheap USB DAC off ebay and was surprised how good it sounds.
Seems to have a fuller sound than the PC soundcard output has.

Hide this!Advertise here!