Can "bad music" damage my gear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We are all aware about Loudness War, can this "bad music" damage my gear?

I take for example this music from Madonna released in Japan back in 1983 (CD):
kWK87nw.png

At the back of the CD cover it say:
Code:
The music on this Compact Digital Disc, was originally recorded on analog
equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound
of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, however
the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape.

Now this is the 2009 album Celebration, I think there is noting to "celebrate" here:
f6SWPUq.png

Searching the internet I've found users of receivers like Onkyo, Marantz, Denon and others complaining about damaged speakers and subwoofers. Can this over compressed music with clipping levels damage speakers or power amplifiers if listened at high volume over a long period of time??

Thank You.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: the louder recording can achieve higher average power levels at the same peak power level, so if you put your amplifiers volume to Max (not clipping) the louder recording will send more power to the speakers. It will also be louder to your ears.

At the same volume to your ears, the power level is going to be around the same for both recordings, so unless you have a habit of maxing out your amplifier neither is more damaging.

I understand that at normal levels this is harmless.

But if people set the volume near max to "bring the house down" with the subwoofer blasting? This distorted signal doesn't make the poweramp to oscillate? Or to send DC to speaker?

Why we see people damaging speakers so often like burning voice coils, etc?

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I understand that at normal levels this is harmless.

But if people set the volume near max to "bring the house down" with the subwoofer blasting? This distorted signal doesn't make the poweramp to oscillate? Or to send DC to speaker?

Why we see people damaging speakers so often like burning voice coils, etc?

Can lower sensitivity miniature speakers have anything to do with it? Low sensitivity designs demand more power, so in order to increase the volume you make the amp clip, and since the music is at peak most of the time, the amp clips most of the time. Instead of clipping at a peak a few times during the song.

Hi,

Short answer : Yes, to the specific question asked, if you play
it at the louder perceived levels such "loudness wars" nonsense
allows, and like aurally torturing youself with music that doesn't
belong on any sort of decent music system. Its lifeless drivel
that just begs to keep cranking the volume for some interest.

Sadly the only "interesting" thing that happens is clipping,
and if your skirting that frontier for some interest you
will start blowing up amplifiers and melting speakers,
designed for AV use and pushing margins especially.

rgds, sreten.

Any decent recording spends ~ 80% of the time at below
~ 20% of maximum votage swing, D. Self has shown.

Years ago I recall hearing "Lets Dance" - David Bowie
on the radio and thinking - wow - thats going to
sound great on a decent hifi - boy was I wrong.
My first encounter with overcompression.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Can't an analog input signal emulate DC? I mean, can a recording have a constant 2v signal (not a sine wave - just 2v "on") from a preamp to an amp at maxed volume? That will surely destroy voice coils and the amp maybe?

I am not saying any CD/Album has this, but it is possible...no?

This reminds me of an amusing story ........

Back in the late '70s....at this little neighborhood R&R bar that I use to frequent ......
Every time that "Neil Young- "Hey Hey, My My" (Into The Black)" came on the jukebox.... there was this one female bartender who was sure that it was destroying the speakers. LOL :D
Neil Young - Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) - YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.