Extremely high quality music from analog sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was chatting with a friend of mine on the internet a while back about the advantages and disadvantages of using flac 24 as recording format. He stated at that time that is an excellent format but that very little has been recorded commercially in this medium. He also stated that many people do not understand how to use it correctly. He went on to explain that many people set their cutoff frequency as high as they can. He stated that this is obsurd in light of the fact very few people can hear above 21 khz and the older you get that frequency level normally drops to 18.5 khz or lower. He then said that "unless you're trying to make your dog go crazy, there is no reason to set the high frequency clip above 41 to 48khz." He stated even that is extremely high. I asked him if we can hear only up 21 khz under the best of conditions then why even set it that high. He stated that second and third harmonics affect the tonality of the individual instruments being played. He also stated that each harmonic amplitude decreases expotentially from the the previous harmonic so it becomes impratical much beyond the limits he specified. He further said that what he stated about affecting the tonality of an instrument applys only to acoustic instruments. Electronic instruments such as synthesizers rely primarily on LFOs' and VCOs' to accomplish a similiar end. In addition, attack rate, decay rate, looping and other effects might be used for timber and wave shaping. Apparently the quality of tape recorder's heads and the speed the master tape was originally recorded at makes a great deal of difference as to the limits of high frequency band width. He uses rebuilt Ampex professional recorders to make his transfers. He then explained that the heads on his machines were not new, but that they had been recently relapped and realigned and that they were in excellent condition. He felt that other recorders that achieve these standards were Studer, Nagra and some models of Revox. He felt that Tandberg recorders had excellent heads, but because the early versions (64X) had serious mechanical problems because they were single motor machines, thus created problems with wow & flutter and belts aan idler wheels slipping. He went on say that there vey few available sources than can benefit from this format. He said that most of the sources have to be in an analog format to take advantage of flac 24. He said these would be live performances, records (vinyl) and high quality reel to reel prerecorded tapes. Apparently, he has huge prerecorded tape library and he had already begun to transfer it down to flac 24. He said that so far he's transferred off about 35 gigs worth of music and that he still has a long way to go. In our second meeting I asked him if would be willing to share them as torrents. He thought about it and stated he would. He went on to say that a large part of the libary is classical, some jazz, some folk and some soundtracks. He said he would be willing to put up about eight gig of torrents at any one time because he burns the torrent folders to double layer DVDs instead of taking up hard drive space. He uses a special torrent titling system. According to him it's designed to search by quality rather than song or album title. This is the torrent query he uses: "flac24, wav16, t series, classical, whatever music title. The "t series" means the source is from factory prerecorded 7 1/2 IPS tapes or higher only with no modification in the transfer. Each torrent includes the following folders, flac files complete, wav files complete, images (artwork for the music), file type logos (in case you want to save to a different format in the predesigned templates), record logos, in case you want to make your own templates, Open Office, Libre Office CD labels & inserts (if you are going to use these templates you must have either Open Office or Libre Office installed. They do not work on Microsoft Office.) He made it very clear that he prefers not to use Microsoft Products. If you are using Windows, you can install the Windows version of Open Office and then you can use the templates. It's free ware, Open Source, and it's currently being maintained by Oracle. The downloads come from sourceforge.net. Linux users can use the linux version of either Open Office or Libre Office. The final items included in the are several rich text files. This guy is thorough! When I talked to him about initiating the torrents he stated that each 8 gig set would only be up for only about 1 week at a time as far as his seeding. He is relying on others like you to continue the seeds. Each following week he will seed a new set (8 gig of torrents). If you're interested, I'll find out a start date from him. I'll also include an attachment. It's a list of the music he has already transerred to this torrent format (he's not seeding them yet) and these are ready to go. Please give feedback if you are interested. Do so in the comments section under this post. ken

Attachments

• torrent listings page 1.JPG
    torrent listings page 1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 128
  • torrent listings page 2.JPG
    torrent listings page 2.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 130
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.