What are your favorite discs from MA Recordings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can only concur that MA seems to have some of the best jazz/world music that is superbly recorded AND musically satisfying...:bigeyes:

The CDs I have I can thoroughly recommend are:

Rediscovered Memories - M008A - despite the strange cover and title, this is a sampler disc from them with a very nice range of artists. Very listenable and a good way to see which artists tickle your fancy...:)

Sera Una Noche - the most fantastic tango CD I've ever heard. Captivating, and it will most likely make you run for the rose bush and grab your partner and dance around the room :D

Further Attempts - Todd Garfinkle - more freer style jazz with a contemplative mood. Beautifully recorded piano in this one point stereo recording. Tasteful bass and percussion also.

Dusan Bogdanovic - Worlds (I think) - also Miroslav Tadic's guitar albums are well recommended (Window Mirror)

It's hard to go wrong on this label, enjoy!

Cheers, Kendrick

Hi Kendrick,

To answer your last message first: The Old Country is quite unusual and hard to classify (for me). All I can say is that it is amazing. These guys play really fast and precise! It is like watching Chinese acrobats performing impossible feats at high speed. O.K., maybe I am losing control here. I suppose you already know that Howard Levy plays with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.

Begonia's album is very listenable - not as raucus as with Al-Andalus. She has a very rich voice, and the acoustics are, of course, quite good. Many of the musicians are the same. Man, I love this album!:bawling:

Tony

Hi Tony

Just been to visit my audiophile friend importer who's stocking the MA stuff...kinda handy....

Got a copy of The Old Country, and man, it sure is different - let's say its instrumental diversity which is nothing like what Levy played in Bela, or on the Loggins stuff! Give it a few more listens and it is sure to grow on me I think.

I forgot to mention - I have the Dave Holland/Leviev MA CD "Up and Down" - a better piano/bass CD I do not have (although Too Rich for my blood by Patricia Barber comes close!) It is a live recording and one of my best.

I also have copies of the Bach lute (vol 1 by Eduardo Eguez, M053A) and Without Words (Miroslav Tadic and Peter Epstein M022A) which are both delightful and relaxing - 100% recommended.

I had a very quick listen to the Exilio CD whilst I was there and it didn't press my buttons, perhaps I snap judged it too quickly... oh well...

As an aside, if you like folky blues (not on the MA label), Chris Jones on the Stockfish label is also excellent, often supported Sara K in concert. Moonstruck and No Looking Back are packaged in a double CD I found, and are tuneful and brilliant recordings also.

I assume you have the self titled Tiny Islands CD as well - a must have world and killer late night CD. Again not on MA though! I digress...

Cheers, Kendrick

Kendrick,

You have given me a lot to consider. Thanks!

I am glad you are enjoying Old Country. I have to agree with you on O Exilio, but my favorite on that one is Fado. It is slow and simple, but to me, very emotional (doleful?). Still the disc is not my favorite of the four.

I have to admit that I have not heard the rest of your recommendations, which means lots of fun in the discovery! I do like folk/blues and will check out all of these.

Thanks and Cheers!

Tony

Well if you want to talk folky/blues you might want to consider also:

Keb Mo' (Kevin Moore) - more blues than folk, but a mean guit' player if ever there was one

Sara K - as I alluded to in a previous post

Janis Ian - familiar to most I expect, certainly beautifully recorded - often referenced by M.Fremer in Stereophile on its analogue pressings.

:scratch2: Think think think.....

Of course Norah Jones (given her mass exposure everyone must be aware of this - the DVD especially is the better pick vs the CD in my opinion)

Anything by Greg Brown (there's an education in his lyrics!)

Anything by Eva Cassidy (somewhat blues oriented also)

I am sure others can offer thoughts here (although it's a bit off topic)

Cheers, Kendrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.