Selling Live Recordings?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have an old MiniDisc player that really is of no technical value these days. BUT, with it are a collection of live recordings from various festivals like Gathering of the Vibes and moe.Down. Late 90's I suppose. Artists like Rob Wasserman, Ratdog, Warren Haynes, moe., Ani Difranco, Martin Sexton. etc.

I do not have any interest in them musically anymore...except a live back and forth between Wasserman and Les Claypool! BUT, is it illegal to sell the recordings? Not copies, but the whole shooting match, MD and discs? They are legal recordings in the sense that the artists allowed sound boards and or mic recordings. So, all "above board" when made. I do not want to create an income from them over time. Just want to see them go where appreciated, but get some money back on the original materials (discs and recorder).

Thanks for any input!

I'm not a lawyer but, it seems to me that if it was a public event and the artists allowed recording., then legally the recordings are in the public domain.

However, song royalties might still come into play but for only a couple of copies, the point might be moot .

Last edited:
Joe, Thanks.

I am in the same camp. And, all I can find online is people ranting about those selling copies of such things. Particularly Grateful Dead and Phish shows that have been traded, but not sold for DECADES. That is a cultural thing that I get. But, I am just trying to give someone else the pleasure of ownership without making a long term profit...or short term profit, for that matter!

You are a gentleman and a scholar. :D

Yeah, US copyright law is a *****, and some artists and their labels are highly aggressive and litigious. No idea about those guys. I did a lot of live recording when I was in Austin, and only have posted a few of the files, and always with explicit permission directly from the musician.

Any good and free encoding software out there? I can imagine audio I/O from MD to sound cards. But, that is usually a WAV file. Then to encode to MP3/MP4, or other? Suggestions?

And, I know this sounds silly. But, what if I sell the MD...with added extra discs. Some with recordings, some without. That is the truth of what I have, anyway! Either that, or they all go in the trash as I have little or no need for the things now.

Last edited:
Any good and free encoding software out there? I can imagine audio I/O from MD to sound cards. But, that is usually a WAV file. Then to encode to MP3/MP4, or other? Suggestions?

And, I know this sounds silly. But, what if I sell the MD...with added extra discs. Some with recordings, some without. That is the truth of what I have, anyway! Either that, or they all go in the trash as I have little or no need for the things now.

Audacity will record whatever is passing through your soundcard and you can export the resultant file as any of many encoded files including MP3.

Not silly at all. That's the proper course. Maybe the buyer has a few boots they will trade for yours. This is all in keeping with the intent of those artists that allow recording of their shows. I know of none that want any selling of those recordings.

As far as I know it is very much illegal to a) record a show and b) sell the result without express permission of the artist(s).

So it depends on the artist, if it is Metallica they will sue you for everything you've got and more while you are very welcome to record any Hayseed Dixie show as long as you give the recording away for free on their website.
I assume every other act is somewhere in between.

As far as I know it is very much illegal to a) record a show and b) sell the result without express permission of the artist(s).

So it depends on the artist, if it is Metallica they will sue you for everything you've got and more while you are very welcome to record any Hayseed Dixie show as long as you give the recording away for free on their website.
I assume every other act is somewhere in between.

Yeah. That is where I have arrived. I could sell the MD and the discs come for free. If it sold for $50, then no big deal. If a bidding war generates a larger sum, then I am in trouble. It is grey, regardless. So, better to err on the safe side.

So...is there even a current market for MD player/recorders?

Thanks all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.