Some well recorded classic rock tunes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just trying to make a collection of some better recorded classic rock tunes basically to 'test' my system with.

I know of SOME that might fit qualifications, like Dire Straits Money for Nothing, and .. the 4th track whose name i can't remember from the same album
some floyd stuff as well .. a lot of tracks from jeff beck's blow by blow (got it on record) sound good

but i wanna know some tracks that REALLY move you and amaze you with the quality when you listen to them
btw .. classic rock is what i'd prefer, but i'll include blues/blues-rock in there, or jazzy rock (but not 'pure' jazz .. i know there's a lot of good jazz stuff out there, but i'm not after that .. i know a few good jazz tunes that i can listen to)

A short song called "Threshold" by Steve Miller Band...Its #10 on their 74-78 Greatest Hits. "Riders On The Storm" by the doors is good, I don't care for much of their stuff, but Riders is good.

Beatles stuff is really damn good! Stereo seperation is crazy on some of their stuff.

Rolling Stones "Beast Of Burden", "Waiting on a Friend", "Can't Always Get Want You Want"....and others.

And maybe Vangelis "Themes", sure it's not classic rock, but I think some of it is from the 70's and it will definently test your system. :D

Man wish the edit button would stick around for at least 24 hours or so!

Anyways, The Who have some very well engineered material.

Who's Next has many good songs. Especially "The Song is Over" and "Behind Blue Eyes". Heres a WMA sample of "The Song is Over

Tommy is also good, my favorite is "Underture" it's like 10 minutes of pretty much music. Heres a WMA sample of "Overture"

Quadrophenia is, well, actually I only really care for the actual "Quadrophenia" song (track 3). It's not that the other songs suck, its just that quadrophenia is so good, I just repeat it.
Heres a WMA sample of "Quadrophenia"

Plus several of these are offered as Hybrid SACD's. If you get Rolling Stone, I believe it's this month features a free Hybrid SACD sampler disc...for some reason we get two copies everymonth, so I have two of the samplers...anyways it has "Pinball Wizard" on there....sounds real good. However if your even the least bit supportive of Republicans or our President, you may want to just rip the free CD out while your at Barnes & Nobles...that magazine is nasty!

Very good clarity in these recordings :up: :up: BTW, I'm only 22, so its a valid review!

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Van Morrison stuff too :up:

I've moondance and its too late to stop now on vinyl. (its too late is a live recording)
I LOVE the first side of moondance, not too crazy about second side (except the first song)

Hybrid fourdoor said:
Who's Next has many good songs. Especially "The Song is Over" and "Behind Blue Eyes". Heres a WMA sample of "The Song is Over

I've that on vinyl too, except it has tons of hisses/pops, and I've nothing to clean it with (plus i've a crappy record player).

Dire Straits Latest Trick on Brothers in Arms is hard to top. All of Love Over Gold sounds really good.

Also Eagles Hell Freezes Over Is not Bad

Eric Johnson Ah Via Musicom and Venus Ilse (maybe not yet classic)

I haven't listened in a while, but I think Styx Paradice Theater sounded pretty good

Frank Zappa Joes Garage, Altough a little crass

Most Rock is so badly compressed it's hard to enjoy on a real Hi Fi.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.