Beatles Sgt Peppers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I took my vinyl of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band to listen with my newly surrected Thorens TD 166 Mk II, with an Ortophon OMB 10.
Now my question is, what do they sing in the outro, the last track on the second side, nearest the label? It is repeated until you lift the pu.
Parlophone PCS 7027 stereo

Personally, I think it's just a few random tapes , cut up and re-spliced at random to create gibberish..

It's like what G Martin did to create the whirling calliope sound in "Mr Kite".

"Unable to find an authentic calliope, Martin resorted to tapes of calliopes playing Sousa marches. "I chopped the tapes up into small sections and had Geoff Emerick throw them up into the air, re-assembling them at random" "

BTW, I got the Sgt Peppers digipack CD a while back and was surprised to hear it was on that as the last track and it plays for about 15 seconds.

Last edited:
And thanks to JoeDJ for letting me know there is music called calliope, although I can´t understand how it sounds, but I have to think about a steam organ or whistles.
But the sound in my OP don´t sound at all as anything made by steam :)

Edit: I read JoeDJ´s reply once again, and now understand that he didn´t mean to say that the sounds on Sgt Pepper were made by a calliope, what ever that is :)

Last edited:
F7R1yc3.jpg

Calliope.

Not pronounced the way I thought and only found out what one was a couple of weeks ago - Jackie Evancho and David Foster explaining it to her in the Ringling Brothers museum.

And thanks to JoeDJ for letting me know there is music called calliope, although I can´t understand how it sounds, but I have to think about a steam organ or whistles.
But the sound in my OP don´t sound at all as anything made by steam :)

Edit: I read JoeDJ´s reply once again, and now understand that he didn´t mean to say that the sounds on Sgt Pepper were made by a calliope, what ever that is :)

Actually it is on "For the Benefit of Mr Kite" on Sgt Pepper that there is a calliope as described.
It's on the bridge, instrumental interlude.

BTW, here are calliopes being played. :)
http://youtu.be/SFgqDSBba1g
http://youtu.be/odMCKR54VRc

Last edited:
BTW, I found this to explain why a calliope sounds frequently out of tune......

" It can't be helped. Steam is hot, so when a note is played, the pipe expands. When it stops, the pipe contracts. A longer pipe results in a slightly lower pitch, a shorter pipe in a slightly higher pitch. So by definition, as it's played with steam, it' always sounds more or less out of tune - the charm of a calliope...

On the Beatles "Revolution Number Nine" on the "White Album", number nine was taken from track checks in the studio and they just liked the sound of the alliteration as it was constantly repeated in the "song".

By sheer coincidence, someone eventually discovered that it you play number nine backwards, it sounds something like "turn me on dead man".
This helped spur the rumor that Paul was dead.
This was after the release of "Abbey Road" that featured a funeral procession crossing Abbey Road on the cover. This simply signified the death of the Beatles........ not the death of Paul.
Abby Road was indeed the Beatles' last studio album.

Then, some started to play all sorts of records backwards and claimed that they contained secret messages. Of course they did not and it was all in the ear of the beholder..

You can play most anything backwards and claim to find a secrete message in it. :)

Last edited:
On the Beatles "Revolution Number Nine" on the "White Album", number nine was taken from track checks in the studio and they just liked the sound of the alliteration as it was constantly repeated in the "song".

I remember when I got my first Pc I recorded that track and then used the "reverse" that was available in Sound Recorder in Windows.
It just resembled a Beck's song ( the bass line) :eek::confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.