Beatles Sgt Peppers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it's "cranberry sauce".
Edit: so does Wikipedia.

That is the result of a McCartney interview a couple of decades ago when he joking said that it was "cranberry sauce". :)
At the time, he was completely fed up with questions about it and flippantly said its "cranberry sauce"

The joke is on Wikipedia which is often inaccurate on most anything.

Last edited:
There was a radio station here in south Florida that kept playing a piece of Stairway to Heaven backwards to reveal the words "there's power in Satan". So grab the CD, rip Stairway, then use Audacity to play the "bustle in your hedgerow" part backwards and draw your own conclusions. Like someone said, we have been told what to hear, so we hear it. There were other references to Satan in that CD, but I have never been able to find all of the stuff that some religious groups claim is hidden in popular music.

Then grab the Electric Light Orchestra's Face the Music CD and reverse the funny sounds heard at the very beginning of the CD. I found this on the record when it first came out. Shut the turntable off, then spin the record backwards. You will hear "the music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back.....turn back....turn back, THUD. Thud was the sound of the tone arm dropping as it falls off the record. All this stuff is on the lead in before the first song.

I have also found some music CD's with undocumented pictures, songs, voices, and even a video. A CD player will not find these things since they are not in the TOC (table of contents). Sometimes a Windows computer will find them, sometimes you need to bit copy the disk to a hard drive, or try a Linux box.

Shut the turntable off, then spin the record backwards. You will hear "the music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back.....turn back....turn back, THUD. Thud was the sound of the tone arm dropping as it falls off the record.
:rofl:
I never had that problem when I was fooling around playing records backwards. The way I did it was to play the bottom side of the record with the platter turning in the normal direction. If anything, the tonearm would have "fallen" up, away from the turntable. Cueing was a bit of a bitch though, with the record lifted about an inch above the platter, and the tonearm inbetween.

It still seemed like the easiest way to play stuff backwards, given that the headshell could be mounted upside down in the tonearm, and there was no problem setting the tracking force negative. Then you just need to put a small bowl/ashtray/whatever under the record to lift it, and a coffee mug or something on top to stop everything falling over.

Back in the eighties when I figured out how to do this, I promptly set about listening to all my albums backwards, hoping to find the "secret messages" that *ahem* 'certain people' were always banging on about back then.

Needless to say there was nothing there. OK, aside from a cigarette advertisement recorded backwards on a Kalahari Surfers track, but really, finding something spliced in backwards on an early Kalahari Surfers recording is about as surprising as finding something out of tune in a John Cage recording.:D

I have also found some music CD's with undocumented pictures, songs, voices, and even a video. A CD player will not find these things since they are not in the TOC (table of contents). Sometimes a Windows computer will find them, sometimes you need to bit copy the disk to a hard drive, or try a Linux box.
IsoBuster should be good at finding that stuff. I use it to access previous sessions on multi-session CD-ROMs. I'm not sure what the licensing policy is now. The version I downloaded a few years ago is nagware, i.e. the trial version works indefinitely, but encourages you buy a licence.

No it's "Cranberry Sauce". Listen to Anthology, clear as a bell.

As already said more than once....." we have been told what to hear, so we hear it."
It's "I'm very bored" and perversion of the truth on the net will change it,.

Back when it was released it was common knowledge that it was "I"m very bored". The song is all about the song being bored after all.
You can hear the three distinct, separate words said slowly: "I'm ....very....bored"

The came the rumor that Paul was dead and then many people were convinced that it said "I buried Paul"

Then Paul flippantly said (as a joke) it was "cranberry sauce". Now people think they hear that and the net has basically bought into the falsehood because Paul actually said it was cranberry sauce, ignoring the fact that Paul was not serious when he said it was "cranberry sauce".

It just illustrates the power of suggestion and people believing what they want to believe .;)

Last edited:
BTW........
As the multitude of sayings allude to ........ "Only believe half of what you hear ".... which should be upgraded to......."and believe nothing you read on the net unless you can verify it beyond all doubt.

The net can even bolster a person's point of view that the earth is flat... ...for example. :)

BTW..... I found this concerning Sgt Pepper run out.

"The final Sgt Pepper recording session took place on 21 April 1967. Creative to the last, The Beatles decided that there should be no silence at the end of the album. Instead, they recorded a burst of nonsensical gibberish which was pressed in the album’s run-out groove – following a brief high-pitched 15 kHz tone intended for dogs".
"They were all there discussing how to end the LP but the decision to throw in a bit of nonsense gibberish came together in about 10 minutes. They ran down to the studio floor and we recorded them twice – on each track of a two-track tape. They made funny noises, said random things; just nonsense. We chopped up the tape, put it back together, played it backwards and threw it in. It took Harry [Moss, disc cutter] about eight attempts to get it right because the slightest incorrect placing of a stylus at the very beginning of the LP side can put the concentric groove out. We had to enquire if putting musical content in the run-out groove would tear the metal when the records are stamped out at the factory".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.