Nice details you hear from songs... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Nice details you hear from songs...

Hello All,

I want make a thread about the nice details from songs you enjoy to hear. Probably when you only able to capture with a quality and well designed equipment. I mean everything takes your attention when listening. This is probably useful for the people may compare their recordings and systems to some others'.

Regards.
Old 8th September 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

For me, it's the sound of a musician actually playing his instrument rather than the sound it makes.
Old 8th September 2013, 07:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I like hearing little 'mistakes' and odd noises in the background, makes the recording sound more real to me.

The Clash's London Calling album has quite a few of those. That is mostly Guy Stevens (the producer) doing bizarre things to get the best performances out of them.
Like swinging a wooden ladder very close to Joe Strummers head so he sang with the urgency needed or drumming along on plastic chairs etc.

The early Funkadelic albums are also good for that. Lots of failing to mute unused channels on the console and stuff like that.

Anyways I like to hear those things and also fret noises etc. but may be I'm just a bit weird like that.
Old 10th September 2013, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good idea for a thread.

On Clap from The Yes Album you can hear Steve Howe tapping his foot to keep time; particularly near the end of the track.

On Fragile in Mood for a Day you can clearly hear the guitar body shifting against him or his clothes as well as some breathing.

In Telarc's disc of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's Firebird Suite 1919 there are many instances of hearing the musicians shifting intheir chairs.

All of these make a recording seem less like a recording.
Old 10th September 2013, 04:20 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
There's a lot of detail in John Lee Hooker's recordings. Brilliant music as well!
Old 10th September 2013, 05:27 PM   #6
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Several times on Yes' Close to the Edge album you can hear little "snicks" from the sound engineer patching in overdubs. Also you can tell when they switch tracks on an instrument, to bring it from the background mix to "solo", in stereo.

When I first built my speakers those little snicks drove me mental until I figured out what they were. I thought it was my DAC at first.
Old 10th September 2013, 05:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

At the end of Dave Brubecks 'Unsquare Dance' you can hear the drummer give a little relieved chuckle after getting through the piece in 7/4 time signature without screwing up.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans23 View Post
For me, it's the sound of a musician actually playing his instrument rather than the sound it makes.
Same for me.

I recently modded my soundcard's analog section. While listening "Concerto Koln - W.A.Mozart: Betulla liberata, KV 118 (Ouverture)" I realized that some subtle stick hits beginning at 1:30. Probably conductor was hitting the chair many times. You have increase the volume a bit. I wasn't aware of this nice detail before.

Hide this!Advertise here!