Avoid the latest Stones remasters at all costs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2013, 12:12 AM   #1
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Avoid the latest Stones remasters at all costs

Having fallen for all the glowing reviews of the latest Exile on Main St remaster in the music press I parted with my $ and hotfooted it home to hear the full splendour of the original master tapes finally revealed.

What I heard was a horrible compressed, amusical etched sound which hurt my head and made me stop listening halfway through the disc.

Doing a bit of a trawl on the web I found out that I was not the only person with this view. The Virgin 1994 edition was mentioned as a far better alternative by some.

Having acquired a copy, all I can say is wow. The pressing actually sounds like music and rocks like hell. What's more, I can listen to it repeatedly without getting a headache.

When glowing reviews of the bonus disc contained in the latest Some Girls reissue emerged I took the plunge although knowing the likely outcome. Fortunately, the quality of music on this second disc overrides the impact of its poor mastering. I then replaced the first disc ( the original album) with an old Virgin edition. Expensive - yes, but worthwhile for the new material.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What you mean they sound like almost all recent remasters?

I've learned my lesson and would rather buy the first CD version of anything second hand than buying a brand new remastered one.
Your ears will thank you and it is cheaper to boot.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What you mean they sound like almost all recent remasters?
I guess so - haven't been impressed at all by the vast majority of recent remasters I have heard. Virgin did some really good stuff in the 90's before it became mandatory to max everything out volume wise and compress heavily to suit radio and MP3 playback.

Japanese Captain Trip remasters are generally excellent too if you can find them. Australia's Raven Records also pay great attention to the remastering of classics. Their 'best of Spirit 1968 to 1977' compilation surpasses the sound quality of the original issues by a fair margin.

Last edited by mach1; 28th August 2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good to know that at least a few do a decent job re-mastering!

Unfortunately any japanese cd or vinyl offerings are almost ridiculously expensive here.
Old 29th August 2013, 09:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1
What I heard was a horrible compressed, amusical etched sound which hurt my head and made me stop listening halfway through the disc.
Im sorry you had a bad copy...... I avoid ALL REMASTERS!! (They are NOT AS GOOD as the originals (Especially if its DIGITALLY REMASTERED -- Complete crap))

I love my records!! (Only First pressings) -- Nothing beats analogue

Hide this!Advertise here!