Which pianos did Keith Jarrett play in his recordings? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which pianos did Keith Jarrett play in his recordings?

The story behind the famous Köln concert is well documented. How Keith Jarrett was promised a Bösendorfer 290 Imperial, but had to make do with a worn out Bösendorfer baby grand instead and all that. Still, the concert worked out beautifully and the album set all sorts of sales records and put ECM Records on the map. It is a fascinating story and a beautiful album, but I want to know more.

My question is this: are there any recordings of concerts by Keith Jarrett in which he actually plays the majestic Imperial, widely acknowledged to be the ne plus ultra of pianos. I mean, if Jarrett can make a worn out baby grand sing, what can he do on a 9' 6" grand piano with 97 keys? With an extra octave at the bottom, there really is nothing like it. [Stuart & Sons from Australia also offers such a piano nowadays, but they don't have the history that of Bösendorfer. And I am digressing.]

Unfortunately, the answer to this question seems to be impossible to find. If you search for "Keith Jarrett Bösendorfer 290 Imperial," you are rewarded with an endless list of pages about the Köln concert!

The Wikipedia page on the Imperial lists Jarrett as one of the artists to use the instrument. Information on the actual piano model used on his albums seems non-existent, however. I am busy checking all of the Wikipedia pages on all his live solo piano albums an clicking on links, but have not turned up anything so so far. Does anybody here have the answer to this vexing question?
Old 21st August 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Isn'it Steinway & Sons most of the time ? on La Scala too ?

Hide this!Advertise here!