Recored label - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
sco1t is offline sco1t  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Recored label

Hello, would any one know if it's hard to make a small recorded label?
Old 10th April 2013, 03:30 AM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

You want to start a record company?

Or

Put a label on a CDR??

If the former, you need a few things for sure. The first is source material in the form of talented musicians or whatever it is ur recording. You also need a demand for that. And, you need a way to sell that stuff and get it heard. Today you can actually do that, if you
hit it right via the internet.

After that you need an attorney or two who is experienced in music & copyright law to protect you. Then you need an attorney to sue the first attorney. And then an attorney to sue the second one for not suing the first one properly.

such fun.

_-_-

Oh. you also better be able to record stuff and make it sound good too...
Old 10th April 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
After that you need an attorney or two who is experienced in music & copyright law to protect you. Then you need an attorney to sue the first attorney. And then an attorney to sue the second one for not suing the first one properly.
The voice of experience?
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 10th April 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi MR Bear, Thanks for replying

I was just thinking about recording local bands... unless I don't need a record label for that?

Yeh I do have recording equipment such as old studio 16 ch mixer, valve amps and high quality recorders
Old 12th April 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

You can record any band you want.

Selling their music in the UK may be subject to your laws, I have no clue on what they are.

Be careful unless ur ok with just having the fun of doing it. IF one becomes famous or is a "hit" WHO owns the recording will suddenly become rather important and a point of rabid dispute. That's something to think about before going ahead.

That's where information about this in the UK and maybe an agreement between you and the "bands" might be a good idea.

Of course, most bands will get strange when you ask them to sign any papers...

Thus, the attorney recommendation if you want to sell and distribute their music *except* as a hobby - with no expectation of profit.

_-_-bear
Old 13th April 2013, 12:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can record any band you want.
Not if the band or venue disallow it.
An artist that releases a recording without a label is commonly known as a vanity label, or "self-released." For original recordings of original music sold by the original artist, there is not much to it basically.
To sell recordings via agents and distributors, contracts and lawyers are a necessity. This is where it gets into a label that produces and markets the music, a publishing arm that handles rights and copyrights, and so forth.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Bear and Sofaspud,

Thanks for all the tips and advice :-)

I would mainly just do it for fun and to help bands out...

I'll read in to it more, thanks
Old 14th April 2013, 12:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I believe there were a few UK labels that recorded bands with only a handshake...and a few with a "one disc at a time" contract. You should go for it! Every month Record Collector magazine has an article about folks who start their own labels. Read all about it...then do it, damnit. There are tons of bands who would love to record...and release a disc of any type. I would go with a simple contract based on me paying for the recording and pressing...all sales reimburse my expenditure...when my costs are paid then the band receives all profit. That should get everybody interested, you can sharpen your skills, word gets out, and who knows? Keep us posted....
Old 16th April 2013, 12:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Lakeellis,

thanks for the info. One of my friends is in a band and I've recorded them 4 times before for websites (for free)..
Your contract Idea is pretty good
Old 16th April 2013, 11:40 PM   #10
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Oh, I'd not let them go with just simple reimbursement... I'd stipulate that if the recording sells beyond some fairly high number or amount then you get a % of that, so there is a "dead zone" where you don't get anything... or after ur expenses (which include your time per hour rate and your "creative services") are paid you get a small % of whatever comes next.

AND, if your recording (demo, etc...) gets them a "real" contract that you get something - that you can work out as to what that might be... just the paid gig to record all their concerts live might be ok, and if ur recordings are used for a release then you get credit + % of sales.

Watch out for one time vs. perpetuity compensation contracts...

_-_-bear

Hide this!Advertise here!