diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Music (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/)
-   -   Australian Pink Floyd Show (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/music/23361-australian-pink-floyd-show.html)

SuppersReady 28th November 2003 09:23 AM

Australian Pink Floyd Show

Saw this show last night and I'm well pleased. I have to admit I originally went to see them out of curiosity having previously seen the real Pink Floyd.

These guys are seriously good!! Show started with all of DSOTM, quick break, and then a good mix of other tracks from Astronomy Domine to Division Bell.

Real energy and quality stage production. Great Gig in the Sky was always going to be difficult to live up to, but I felt they did a better job than PF's own female vocalist did last time I saw them. The Oz girlie was actually hitting those highs properly!

My advice is, if you like PF at all, this group is well worth going to see!

Just my 0 0s 2.5d (that's tuppence-apney's worth in the old money).

from a happy Paul.

P.S. my thanks to that southern continent.

SuppersReady 28th November 2003 09:28 AM

P.S.

Details here.

Australian Pink Floyd Show

paulb 28th November 2003 12:45 PM

There's another Pink Floyd tribute band here, coming back in January:
http://www.calgaryplus.ca/user_review?fid=17&id=837383
I thought they were great.

Brian Donaldson 25th December 2003 04:35 AM

I saw the real Pink Floyd in '87 shortly after the release of Momentary Lapse of Reason. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. (The Cure Disintegration tour is the only contender)

Me and a few friends had tickets on the floor 20 rows back or so, In the center of the Astrodome in Houston. I can still remember during Yet Another Movie they shot a moving green Lazer sinusoid Over our heads and I made it seem as if you were under water. So Cool.

There was a guy that sat by himself next to us. He passed us a funny smelling cigarette then dissapeared. We passed it back and forth until it was gone. The kind gentleman never returned. Somehow I think it intensified the effect of the laser. You know, the smoke gave the laser something to reflect off of. ;)

moe29 25th December 2003 06:57 AM

Brian,

not to thread-nap or anything, but i've seen the Cure many times
myself, and 2000's Dream Tour was right up there too.

The Cure are the best live band ever. period. :)

Brian Donaldson 25th December 2003 01:48 PM

Correction
The song with the laser was Terminal Frost

SuppersReady 25th December 2003 06:55 PM

Quote:

I saw the real Pink Floyd in '87 shortly after the release of Momentary Lapse of Reason. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.
My own experience of the real Pink Floyd was the Division Bell tour at Earls Court, London. Also one of the best concert experiences I've ever had.

Your mention of funny smelling cigarettes reminds me of a Tangerine Dream concert I went to many years ago:cloud9:

Blissful memories...

Timn8ter 28th January 2004 10:17 PM

Dark Side of the Moon tour c. 1973 (yes, I'm old). Check out David Gilmour's Meltdown Tour DVD and Roger Waters In The Flesh DVD. Great recordings!

SuppersReady 29th January 2004 07:31 AM

Quote:

Dark Side of the Moon tour c. 1973
One of my (older) brothers saw them on that tour at a local Gaumont. I am most jealous. He also saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople there. It is now a bingo hall!

Bands are so much more immediate in these smaller venues. A shame that they aim for fewer nights and bigger venues these days.

Ee when I wur yung, fings wur so mutch nicer! (Best Monty Python Yorkshire accent):wchair:

Timn8ter 30th January 2004 12:18 AM

Totally. I tried to watch REM but got ****ed off when 15,000 people rushed the stage. The last enjoyable shows I saw were Marcy Playground at the Crocodile Cafe and Catherine Wheel at the Showbox. Nice, small, intimate venues.