Pitchshifting 440hz down to 432hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Search didn't throw anything up.

Hi I was just searching for your thoughts on this. Apparently music played at 432hz rather than 440hz sounds more emotionally pleasing, I'm playing Kate Bush-Love and Anger in Audacity pitch shifted down to 432hz, its slower.....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very little of the music content will be at 400Hz, what do you want to do with the rest of the audio spectrum ?
:D Good one!

It's an interesting experiment, changing the tuning, or rather the pitch, of recordings. What are you finding?
FWIW, tuning pitch has been all over the place thru the centuries. Wikipedia has a good overview of it if you search "Concert Pitch".

If you do a google search on 432 you will find people who think that the 440Hz standard was a plot by the nazis or the government to control people. They also seem to think that 432 is some sort of magic number that brings harmony in the universe.
On youtube you can find scads of pitch-shifted songs, which predictably play out slower. Depending on how good your sense of relative pitch is and how recently you have heard the other version, they may or may not appear slightly flat in pitch.

The argument seems to be that 432 is some how more in tune with nature than 440.
The Importance of 432Hz Music
This seems like total tosh to me, since the measurement is based on the number of cycles per second. A second being a totally man made measurement of time, being roughly 1/86400 of a day.
What if we invented a whole new time constant to measure sound cycles with.
We could call it the Cool Second and make it 0.98181818181818181818181818181818 normal (uncool) seconds long. 1/88000 of a day.
Standard A tuning would then be 432 cycles per cool second, and harmony with nature would be magically restored. Peace Brothers:rolleyes:

Yeah, there's a load of stuff about the 'characteristics' of the keys too.

C major - pure, innocent.

D major - triumphal.

D flat major - leering. Leering?

...and of course D minor is the saddest of all keys, innit?

A lot of this is historical, in days gone by (before equal temperament) there were differences between keys that might explain some of these odd-sounding ideas, but I prefer to think that the old folks were just plain crazy... ...and the young folks too.

On a semi-related note, back in my younger days.....
My old Kenwood turntable was set for 50Hz, but came with an extra pulley (the spindle on the motor that the belt goes round) for use with 60Hz mains.

No, I couldn't resist!
With the "wrong" pulley installed for a few weeks (or was it months), we had the choice of playing LPs either too fast or too slow (to the annoyance of my housemates). IMO some stuff e.g. Madonna actually sounded better at the "wrong" speed. (Other stuff, like Jackie Frisco, sounded better played backwards, but that's another story).

It's amazing how one gets used to something like that, though. One of my housemates also had a turntable, but with a busted tonearm (some knucklebrain had stood on it). When I finally got round to fixing that for her, she complained that it didn't sound right. We'd all gotten so used to playing our music on my system, that it sounded "wrong" at the correct speed.:p

Many turntables have an adjustment for the platter speed. Just turn the knob down a bit (about 2%) and 440 becomes 432. I am still using the Technics turntable that I bought new in 1978. It is adjustable +/- 3%. I prefer standard speed for most records, and where I like something different, I tend toward too fast rather than too slow. Note, that most of my records are older than the turntable, and I have been listening to them for a long time, so anything different just sounds wrong.

link to 432 'pitch' , cymatics, architecture, etc -

attachment.php

Stuart Mitchell - Decoding Roslyn Chapel

Attachments

• ciphermusicnotes.jpg
    ciphermusicnotes.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.