really high sample rate recording in .wav format - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2012, 01:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default really high sample rate recording in .wav format

I have an extremely high quality microphone and my sound card has a very high output sample rate.. (over half a million samples per second)
And I was thinking if I recorded a song in such a high sample rate
Would it sound extremely high quality and accurate?
The microphones are super high quality and very accurate already...... And I have two of them for stereo sound..
I was thinking of recording in at least 600,000 samples per second..
and then try it in audacity..
I am using audacity to record with... and the sample rate is set really high up to 600,000 for both the recording and the output sound to my headphones.
Would there even be a slight bit of detectable difference than if I just simply recorded a normal 44100 samples per second recording?
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Which soundcard do you have that can sample at 600kHz? The highest I've seen for multi-bit is 352.8kHz.
Old 3rd January 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Realtek HD audio
It supports playback at almost any format. nearly everything plays.. even a 60khz tone plays just fine.. (thought I cant hear it.)
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

AFIAK, the highest SR of any Realtek chipset is 192 kHz.

What microphone do you have?
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know exactly but I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something..
The static is very silent too completely inaudible..
And it records pretty loudly... but clearly... I can be 20 feet away and talk normally record it and hear it through the microphone as if It was another person talking across the room
And it's stereo too.. I have two microphones.. One for left channel and one for right... It's super clear too.
Old 3rd January 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

LOL!
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This got to be a troll
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

That is not very nice I was just stating what I own..
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:56 PM   #9
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
That is not very nice I was just stating what I own..
It's just that the adjectives you use to describe your gear doesn't match up with their quality in any way. For example "extremely high quality microphone" and "I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something.." How do you know it's so good if you don't even know the model number? Sensitivity and low noise do not indicate quality. My $30 Skype headset is sensitive and has low noise.

All the results I found for "Realtek HD audio" indicate that it's onboard audio, as in just a chip on your motherboard, as in the lowest quality possible when in comes to recording/playback equipment. High end two channel mastering grade ADC units cost multiple thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Your "soundcard" came free with your mobo.

Just using a higher sample rate does indeed improve things, but it's not for the reasons you might think. Also while it's true that you can sample to higher frequencies, I doubt your "super high quality and very accurate" microphones extend much over 20kHz anyways. Even to just get a mic to go up to 30kHz takes some doing, let alone 40 or 50kHz. Check out some of the Earthworks mics to see some real high quality mics that do have ultrasonic extension. Their QTC50 is stated to extend up to 50kHz so a sample rate of 100kHz is the highest required to get proper quantization. That's why use 96kHz when I do recordings.
Old 4th January 2013, 01:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

realflow100
dude , i m sorry to say it but realtek is one of the lowest quality sound cards out there , and recording in 600k is impossible , i have a COMPLETE JUNK 130$ audio interface as my temp interface and it doesn't go over 48khz, if your program and your sound card says they can , they simply don know what they r talking about ,
your sound card and audacity is more like a toy than a real thing when it comes to quality and recording , you need to have a highend microphone (thousands of dollars) + some highend monitors (multiple tens of thousands of dollars) + highend audio interface (thousands of dollars) + highend mic preamp (again thousands of dollars) and a highend acoustic room (multiple tens of thousands of dollars), to record a pro quality recording and to call your equipment and your recording quality super quality !!!
you need to read abit about music recording and equipment if you like that topic

Hide this!Advertise here!