really high sample rate recording in .wav format

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an extremely high quality microphone and my sound card has a very high output sample rate.. (over half a million samples per second)
And I was thinking if I recorded a song in such a high sample rate
Would it sound extremely high quality and accurate?
The microphones are super high quality and very accurate already...... And I have two of them for stereo sound..
I was thinking of recording in at least 600,000 samples per second..
and then try it in audacity..
I am using audacity to record with... and the sample rate is set really high up to 600,000 for both the recording and the output sound to my headphones.
Would there even be a slight bit of detectable difference than if I just simply recorded a normal 44100 samples per second recording?

I don't know exactly but I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something..
The static is very silent too completely inaudible..
And it records pretty loudly... but clearly... I can be 20 feet away and talk normally record it and hear it through the microphone as if It was another person talking across the room
And it's stereo too.. I have two microphones.. One for left channel and one for right... It's super clear too.

That is not very nice :( I was just stating what I own..

It's just that the adjectives you use to describe your gear doesn't match up with their quality in any way. For example "extremely high quality microphone" and "I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something.." How do you know it's so good if you don't even know the model number? Sensitivity and low noise do not indicate quality. My $30 Skype headset is sensitive and has low noise.

All the results I found for "Realtek HD audio" indicate that it's onboard audio, as in just a chip on your motherboard, as in the lowest quality possible when in comes to recording/playback equipment. High end two channel mastering grade ADC units cost multiple thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. Your "soundcard" came free with your mobo.

Just using a higher sample rate does indeed improve things, but it's not for the reasons you might think. Also while it's true that you can sample to higher frequencies, I doubt your "super high quality and very accurate" microphones extend much over 20kHz anyways. Even to just get a mic to go up to 30kHz takes some doing, let alone 40 or 50kHz. Check out some of the Earthworks mics to see some real high quality mics that do have ultrasonic extension. Their QTC50 is stated to extend up to 50kHz so a sample rate of 100kHz is the highest required to get proper quantization. That's why use 96kHz when I do recordings.

realflow100
dude , i m sorry to say it but realtek is one of the lowest quality sound cards out there , and recording in 600k is impossible , i have a COMPLETE JUNK 130$ audio interface as my temp interface and it doesn't go over 48khz, if your program and your sound card says they can , they simply don know what they r talking about ,
your sound card and audacity is more like a toy than a real thing when it comes to quality and recording , you need to have a highend microphone (thousands of dollars) + some highend monitors (multiple tens of thousands of dollars) + highend audio interface (thousands of dollars) + highend mic preamp (again thousands of dollars) and a highend acoustic room (multiple tens of thousands of dollars), to record a pro quality recording and to call your equipment and your recording quality super quality !!!
you need to read abit about music recording and equipment if you like that topic

I don't know exactly but I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something..
The static is very silent too completely inaudible..
And it records pretty loudly... but clearly... I can be 20 feet away and talk normally record it and hear it through the microphone as if It was another person talking across the room
And it's stereo too.. I have two microphones.. One for left channel and one for right... It's super clear too.

I hate to tell you this, but $135 dollars for a microphone is really inexpensive, not expensive. At that prices level, you could not engineer a microphone that could go any higher than 16 or 17khz, and no way past 20khz. With this microphone, there would be little point in recording anything higher than 44.1khz sample rate.

So you understand what expensive is - I sometimes use the DPA 4006 or 4011-TL for recording classical music concerts at my church. These microphones cost nearly $2k a piece for. I also have a battery of Nuemann M-149 Tube microphones that cost over $5k a piece. I also use the Nuemann U-87 quite a bit as well. These are expensive microphones, and a $135 dollar microphone will not be in the same ballpark as these performance wise.

My mom pays 300 dollars a month just living and paying bills and rent... And another 300 dollars for food...
My mom only gets 600 dollars a month to live off of... with no job...
we can't afford expensive amazing stuff..

I can understand. But good gear costs what it costs.

If you're using cheap stuff, you'll have to really work on your recording skills to get anything listenable. Think of it as a challenge- just don't fool yourself into thinking you've got the greatest gear in the world, you don't. But that should just inspire you to learn to make the most of it.

My mom pays 300 dollars a month just living and paying bills and rent... And another 300 dollars for food...

Which is totally fine of course. However when you describe your low end gear as being "amazing" or "super high quality" people will think you are trolling. Like your speaker thread where you drop every adjective know to man about some cheap computer speakers: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/226928-amazing-philips-speakers.html

Would you go to a professional photography forum and talk about how awesome your phone camera is? I'm not trying to be mean at all. You have to remember there are a lot of professionals here on diyAudio who take their craft and their passion for audio very seriously. When you make posts about bottom of the line gear having "amazingly outstanding sound quality" people here will tend to think you are trolling and not take you seriously.

what you're describing would cost millions of dollars....
I highly doubt it takes that much money to record high quality audio...

that s what an state of the art , super high quality (as you named it) recording studio will cost ,go take a look here for example : http://vintageking.com/recording-gear/microphones/neumann-solution-d-stereo , 13000$ just a mic ! yup studios are expensive ,we are not talking about home or mid level studios and very decent sound quality , but we talk about high end ,state of the art stuffs , there s a different between , highend , decent and good , and yes you can have very good pro level recording with a thousand of dollar equipment , but you don't have that much power and ability that you have in a million dollar studio , and just real professional artists can afford to record in that kinda studios
Edit : forgot to say I used maybe 500$ worth of equipment to record my band and we were happy with results :)
i m sure most people here didn't have rich parents to buy them highend stuffs , and thats why they r here , they r here because they wanted to learn how to build good equipment themselves :)
when I was about maybe 14-15 years old I bought a 8$ full range speaker , and a 15w chip amp and I didnt have a cabinet for speaker but the space between my bed and the floor was enough to tightly place the speaker in there , and that was my highend sound system back then ;) ( I still think it has very good sound , lol )

Last edited:
I have had my share of High Quality microphones in the past as well ranging from $300 to $1000 (AT4050st) each.
Some of them I still have.
And have used a few Nueman's as well.
But this one got stolen!

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/11940-at4050st.pdf

My latest decent microphone is a Dayton EMM-6 that I got for $40.
It has a very flat response and I only use it to measure speakers with.
I also use a Peavy PVM-520TN for the lower frequency's as well and I have had it for nearly 30 years.
I got a real good deal on it new for about $275.
It is a great all around microphone,

www.google.com/search?q=pvm520tn&nu...bFrP02wXCsYCYCw&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=864

I really haven't tried to do any recording with the EMM-6 yet but the simple tests that I have done with it show it to be a fairly accurate and clean sounding microphone.

It is a condenser microphone so you need a preamp that has a Phantom powersupply to use it.

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801

It isn't really a match for the $300 AT3031's that I had which also got stolen but still a good microphone for being so inexpensive,

at3031 - Google Search

If you want a decent quality microphone for cheap you can try building ribbon type of one from a couple of Neodium magnets and some super thin foil using a small transformer to step-up the voltage into a preamp stage.

here is one example,

DIY Ribbon Microphone Design - Introduction

From many found here,

www.google.com/search?q=diy+ribbon+...MRdoYDYBcO1gOgF&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=864

diy ribbon microphone - Google Search

This looks very interesting!!!

http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/opticribbon.htm

Enjoy and Keep on DIYing !!!!!

Cheers !!

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.