really high sample rate recording in .wav format - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Music

Music A place to discuss the thing we are doing all this other stuff for

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2013, 02:20 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

what you're describing would cost millions of dollars....
I highly doubt it takes that much money to record high quality audio...
Old 4th January 2013, 02:24 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, but it takes more than the lowest budget soundcard and a cheap mike. For about $1000, you can put together a basic recording setup that will be relatively decent, though not exactly state of the art.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:26 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

My mom pays 300 dollars a month just living and paying bills and rent... And another 300 dollars for food...
My mom only gets 600 dollars a month to live off of... with no job...
we can't afford expensive amazing stuff..
Old 4th January 2013, 02:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realflow100 View Post
I don't know exactly but I bought it for 135 dollars and it's really expensive... the packaging say's sony on it or something..
The static is very silent too completely inaudible..
And it records pretty loudly... but clearly... I can be 20 feet away and talk normally record it and hear it through the microphone as if It was another person talking across the room
And it's stereo too.. I have two microphones.. One for left channel and one for right... It's super clear too.
I hate to tell you this, but $135 dollars for a microphone is really inexpensive, not expensive. At that prices level, you could not engineer a microphone that could go any higher than 16 or 17khz, and no way past 20khz. With this microphone, there would be little point in recording anything higher than 44.1khz sample rate.

So you understand what expensive is - I sometimes use the DPA 4006 or 4011-TL for recording classical music concerts at my church. These microphones cost nearly $2k a piece for. I also have a battery of Nuemann M-149 Tube microphones that cost over $5k a piece. I also use the Nuemann U-87 quite a bit as well. These are expensive microphones, and a $135 dollar microphone will not be in the same ballpark as these performance wise.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:44 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Perhaps not, but it would take quite a bit more than a $135 dollar microphone and a low cost soundcard.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:45 AM   #16
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
My mom pays 300 dollars a month just living and paying bills and rent... And another 300 dollars for food...
I can understand. But good gear costs what it costs.

If you're using cheap stuff, you'll have to really work on your recording skills to get anything listenable. Think of it as a challenge- just don't fool yourself into thinking you've got the greatest gear in the world, you don't. But that should just inspire you to learn to make the most of it.
Old 4th January 2013, 02:51 AM   #17
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Which is totally fine of course. However when you describe your low end gear as being "amazing" or "super high quality" people will think you are trolling. Like your speaker thread where you drop every adjective know to man about some cheap computer speakers: Amazing philips speakers!

Would you go to a professional photography forum and talk about how awesome your phone camera is? I'm not trying to be mean at all. You have to remember there are a lot of professionals here on diyAudio who take their craft and their passion for audio very seriously. When you make posts about bottom of the line gear having "amazingly outstanding sound quality" people here will tend to think you are trolling and not take you seriously.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:22 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

that s what an state of the art , super high quality (as you named it) recording studio will cost ,go take a look here for example : http://vintageking.com/recording-gea...ution-d-stereo , 13000$ just a mic ! yup studios are expensive ,we are not talking about home or mid level studios and very decent sound quality , but we talk about high end ,state of the art stuffs , there s a different between , highend , decent and good , and yes you can have very good pro level recording with a thousand of dollar equipment , but you don't have that much power and ability that you have in a million dollar studio , and just real professional artists can afford to record in that kinda studios
Edit : forgot to say I used maybe 500$ worth of equipment to record my band and we were happy with results
Quote:
i m sure most people here didn't have rich parents to buy them highend stuffs , and thats why they r here , they r here because they wanted to learn how to build good equipment themselves
when I was about maybe 14-15 years old I bought a 8$ full range speaker , and a 15w chip amp and I didnt have a cabinet for speaker but the space between my bed and the floor was enough to tightly place the speaker in there , and that was my highend sound system back then ( I still think it has very good sound , lol )

Last edited by Ahmad_tbp; 4th January 2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I have had my share of High Quality microphones in the past as well ranging from $300 to $1000 (AT4050st) each.
Some of them I still have.
And have used a few Nueman's as well.
But this one got stolen!

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...0-at4050st.pdf

My latest decent microphone is a Dayton EMM-6 that I got for $40.
It has a very flat response and I only use it to measure speakers with.
I also use a Peavy PVM-520TN for the lower frequency's as well and I have had it for nearly 30 years.
I got a real good deal on it new for about $275.
It is a great all around microphone,

http://www.google.com/search?q=pvm52...w=1280&bih=864

I really haven't tried to do any recording with the EMM-6 yet but the simple tests that I have done with it show it to be a fairly accurate and clean sounding microphone.

It is a condenser microphone so you need a preamp that has a Phantom powersupply to use it.

Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone Allows For Accurate Acoustic Measurements At A Fraction Of The Price 390-801

It isn't really a match for the $300 AT3031's that I had which also got stolen but still a good microphone for being so inexpensive,

at3031 - Google Search

If you want a decent quality microphone for cheap you can try building ribbon type of one from a couple of Neodium magnets and some super thin foil using a small transformer to step-up the voltage into a preamp stage.

here is one example,

DIY Ribbon Microphone Design - Introduction

From many found here,

http://www.google.com/search?q=diy+r...w=1280&bih=864

diy ribbon microphone - Google Search

This looks very interesting!!!

http://www.mymorninglight.org/ham/opticribbon.htm

Enjoy and Keep on DIYing !!!!!

Cheers !!

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 19th January 2013 at 07:20 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!