Very important measurements!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
nice find, bookmarked.

I might contribute to the database too. There is software on their website which I assume does this. (You need to feed it a *.wav or *.mp3) inorder for it to spit back a score.

Clicking on the little i icons on their site spews back a lot of interesting information about the album aswell.

They had better add support for APE and FLAC though or this won't get off the ground.

What they really need on this project is a way for a user to pop in a CD and get the software to compare automatically with the server, and analyze the CD and submit it automatically if it doesn't exist.

Here is a sample of the log data:
http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/details.php?id=30134

foobar2000 1.1.15 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2012-11-30 15:28:37

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: The Smiths / Meat Is Murder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR11 -0.96 dB -14.18 dB 4:52 01-The Headmaster Ritual
DR11 -0.43 dB -13.96 dB 4:20 02-Rusholme Ruffians
DR11 -1.10 dB -13.51 dB 3:14 03-I Want The One I Can't Have
DR10 -1.81 dB -12.96 dB 2:42 04-What She Said
DR12 -0.61 dB -15.39 dB 4:59 05-That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
DR14 -0.57 dB -16.57 dB 6:46 06-How Soon Is Now?
DR12 -0.89 dB -14.41 dB 2:37 07-Nowhere Fast
DR13 0.00 dB -15.65 dB 4:00 08-Well I Wonder
DR12 -1.22 dB -14.60 dB 6:57 09-Barbarism Begins At Home
DR13 -0.66 dB -16.27 dB 6:07 10-Meat Is Murder

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 1411 kbps
Codec: CDDA

Last edited:
My favorite band Sigur Ros has been squashed.
:(
I'm sure a little compression is good for the huge crescendo's with post rock, but when it hits the orgasmic peak in the song, and the amplitude has a 3db rise and has even gone into clipping, it's like masterbation in the cellar next to the water heater like a little troll!
And usually, the vinyl masters are the same, so that doesn't help much.
Of course, some are better or else the needle would not pick up information, it would sound so fuzzy from the signal sinking right into the noise floor :)
By the way Freax, great album brother!
Maybe we can start a list for different genre's of the best DR recordings.
We can make them sticky's.
I'll start a new thread for my favorite, "post rock" and see if it gets some traction.....cool? :cool:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
DR15 is a rating based on the entire track. It is not the RMS value for the track. If you download the foobar app, you can get the RMS and peaks for each track through the tool, and it will also provide a DR rating. Also, some tracks can have a low RMS but the peak is also low, in which case it's not as dynamic as when the peak is close to 0 db.

The DR rating just gives a number to compare with other tracks. You can analyze an entire album and it gives a single rating for the album too.

So DR10 is worse than DR15, and so on.

Just checked your link. All the songs in that album have a high rating, which is good.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I suppose it must be. Wonder how it determines that? What constitutes a part?

Anyway for me, the RMS value of the track gives me a good indication of the dynamic range. Most tracks hit 0dB at least a few times. Some very soft tracks don't, of course.

It could be an average of the highest peaks to the lowest peaks, which will give you a lower value than a single measurement of the very highest peak to the very lowest.

This would be a good way to do it because, think about this....
Even if a track is completely brick walled, if there is a moment of complete silence, then that would give a very large DR measurement if they weren't averaged out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.